+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wired Networks Thread, VGA over IP/Ethernet in Technical; Hi, We currently have one Screen up on the wall in our IT department. We want to move the PC ...

Thank Post

VGA over IP/Ethernet

Hi,

We currently have one Screen up on the wall in our IT department. We want to move the PC Powering the screen into the Server room so it is out of the way.

Our next idea was to put up 4/5 more screens around the building showing the same thing all coming from the one computer moved into the Server room.

I am wondering the best way to do this is. My idea would be to get a basic VGA to Ethernet adapter and plug it into a floorport (which goes back to our server room) and then have a switch on the end of the PC with all of the Screens going into it through the floorports. Would this work?

If not what do you suggest?

Any help much Appreciated

Thank Post
    We have a similar thing at work running off Mac's which a local company did supply, they were showing a looped TV type thing in the reception areas. You need some sort of distribution switch, unfortunately I do not know off the top of my head what it was we used but was only a 1U device, if I get chance on Monday I will pop by and get the details from one of our sites for you.

Thank Post
    Much apprechiated if you could. We are running a PC and Windows iw ouldnt of thought it would be much differant.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We've used these - Ethernet to DVI Video Adapter over IP - StarTech.com

Not sure if you can have multiple devices (but I think you can - when you run the software it asks you to select the screen to connect to which suggests you could have more than one)

Thank Post
    I have a similar system being installed that runs 30 Large Screen TFT's from 4 PC's located around the site.
    Each cabinet has an HP SFF pc with a Video Capture card installed.
    These PC's pick up a live UHF RF Feed on CH47 delivered by Coax to each Cabinet.
    Each PC has an Internet connection and at scheduled intervals downloads pre-defined content from a remote FTP site which then overlays this content with the live RF feed to deliver a branded TV Channel to each screen.

Each PC cabinet has a Broadcast Device that takes the PC output and sends this over CAT5 to a box on the back of each TV

Now, none of this was my idea I just had the internet and power provisioning dumped on me at the last minute!

The company providing this system to many Football Clubs this year has valued the 30 screen system @ £116k (It has cost another £10k to deliver Power and Internet to this installation)!
    No wonder so many of these clubs are running close to bankrupcy!

Any way, I looked at ways I could do it myself and I decided that the LevelOne stuff was extremely good value and could do the job at a fraction of the price these cowboys are charging.

http://uk.level1.com/category2.php?id=22&id2=123#0
    LevelOne - HVE-6000 Short Range HDMI Receiver

They also do DVI/VGA and Audio only.

Im just playing with sending the HDMI signal from a laptop upto a projector at the moment using this stuff but as I get more into it I can see many more possibilities for it.

If you need any help sourcing this stuff just PM me.
    Last edited by m25man; 11th July 2010 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Additional URL added

Thank Post
    If I am right in thinking these can not be used over a 'network', they are just using the media? If so you would need a hub so it sent the same image to all converters and screens? But never experienced these before so not sure.

Thank Post
    Not in the sense of just plugging stuff into your existing Cisco and getting a picture somewhere else.

You can get a piece of active kit to convert your signal to run over CAT5 cable, but it won't distribute via standard switches or hubs. You could get a video distribution gizmo that you could site in your server room but you might need to buy a pair of converters/baluns for each line you want pictures on. Look at Kramer kit, it is at the lower pro end of the market, but it does work well.

e2a - the Cobra range looks just like the stuff you will need!

I've read of a new standard for distributing HD over CAT5 that would be worth a look at too, but I don't think there is any kit available yet
    Last edited by Andrew_C; 11th July 2010 at 01:52 PM.

Thank Post
    We use these across our school on 5 or 6 screens all showing the same information powered by one PC.

Mauve Systems

Thank Post
    we have 4 screens around the building all VGA over CAT5 from one central computer which has a splitter to support 4 computers we have used several different vga to cat5 and found some flicker or dont last long, we have tended to find that we get what we pay for. The ones that we have found most reliable are

KRAMER|PT-110|CAT5 TRANSMITTER, XGA | CPC
    KRAMER|PT-120|CAT5 RECEIVER, XGA | CPC

or we have used this one

Rextron Hd15 Extender Through Cat5e - KVM-VGAXT at Insight UK

Thank Post
    I've not had chance to get to one of the sites today and doubt I will this week but as soon as I do I will post up.

Thank Post
    Another option is to buy a Acer R3610 and slap it to the back of the screen. They can be picked up from £180, although ebuyer currently have them at £200

Acer Aspire Revo R3610 Desktop PC - Desktops | Ebuyer.com

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Another option is to buy a Acer R3610 and slap it to the back of the screen. They can be picked up from £180, although ebuyer currently have them at £200

Acer Aspire Revo R3610 Desktop PC - Desktops | Ebuyer.com
    We've got 3 of them powering the 3 screens in our NOC. Decent units for the price.

Thank Post
    Attached are some images of one of our units we use, it connects to the MacMini and shows something on the TV screens. I will get to the other site and look at the 1U unit we have there as well.

Image0219.jpgImage0218.jpgImage0217.jpgImage0216.jpgImage0215.jpg

Thank Post
    This question came up about a week, maybe two back. I found some Kramer kit that would do it. Worth a search.

Edit-

Hang ON! The OP started the thread with exactly the same title!

http://www.edugeek.net/forums/hardwa...-ethernet.html
    Last edited by Andrew_C; 21st July 2010 at 11:49 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    I'm going to merge this thread with the duplicate one created here as it got more of a response.
    http://www.edugeek.net/forums/networ...-ethernet.html

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast