+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wired Networks Thread, Tracking down a network problem affecting HP P2055 Printers - Suggestions? in Technical; We have what appears to be an intermittent and seemingly random problem whereby our HP P2055 (about 10 of them) ...
    Thank Post

Tracking down a network problem affecting HP P2055 Printers - Suggestions?

We have what appears to be an intermittent and seemingly random problem whereby our HP P2055 (about 10 of them) series printers will eventually stop responding to any kind of network traffic (ping,web interface) after being connected to our network for a day or two.

I've tried plugging the printers into a standalone switch and they're fine so I can only assume the problem is caused by another PC/device connected to our network sending out packets which causes the NIC/Jetdirect card on this particular model to fall over?

I've tried connecting them to several different models/makes of network switches and nothing resolves the issue. Even just having them sitting on the network (be it either static or dynamic IP) with no associated print queue still results in the same issue so I can only assume that it's some kind of broadcast packet? The issue doesn't seem to affect any other network printers or devices as far as I can see. The only fix is to power the printer off and back on again (IT Crowd style!).

I've got a call logged with HP but so far they haven't been able to suggest anything. I've tried firmware updates, enabling the local firewall on the printer and disabling unused protocols on it but no joy so far. I'm absolutely at a loose end as to how to deal with the above problem?

Has anyone any suggestions of a way to try and track down what's causing these printers to randomly die every couple of days when on our LAN?

Thank Post
    This has been a long term issue with this model of printer (and the P2015). Various firmware updates have been released to attempt to resolve it (only if you have a certain revision of formater).

You'll find that some have only had a resolution after complaining again and again to HP, to get the printers and / or formatter boards replaced.

We have 3 of them and we just have to power cycle them to get them up and running again.

Why they can't be like the LJ1200s that have been work horses i don't know...

Thank Post
    I would second MYK-IT's comments about the formatter PCB's.
    HP has had a huge issue with these but in fairness so have many other manufacturers with SMD manufacturing processes on all sorts of equipment.

Some discreet components overheat and the solder joints break causing intermittent connections.
    There are literally thousands of laptops dying from GPU's breaking away from the motherboards, so much so that Sony after denying such an issue for almost 2 years have now admitted the problem and extended the warranty on some models to 4 Years !!!

I would be inclined to buy 1 new formatter PCB, install it in one of your most troublesome printers and when I proves beyond any doubt that the formatter is to blame you jump all over HP and make them replace them all....

I had the issue with the 2015's I had a client with 8 of them 1 failed in warranty which HP replaced but the other 7 all died within weeks of each other same issue simply looses connectivity sometimes a power off will fix them othertimes not.

The new formatter boards fixed them all so far so good.

I have also managed to get 1 Sony and 2 HP Laptops repaired out of warranty over the GPU issue.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 759 Posts
    Ditto to the above; we had a handful of these in my last school, they all started to manifest this problem within 6 months, and the only thing that fixed them was insisting HP replace the formatter board. I had always been bloody-minded with the school about buying NBD onsite warranty with our printers, and it paid off that time.

Thank Post
    Have a look at DMCoy's post in this thread.

Printers going offline

6. Thanks to K.C.Leblanc from:

flyinghaggis (6th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMCoy
    If it's a managed switch check to see if there is an active MAC address on the port the printer is plugged in to. The HPs send virtually no traffic out so drop off the network. You can alter the SLP settings to make them chattier to help stay active.
    On HP Procurves, the SLP setting can only be changed via telnet, not the web interface on the printer.
    Cheers for the update. I've noticed this post on the other thread but I'm not 100% sure where to alter this setting on our primarily 3com 4400 based network. I'll have a hunt and see if it's possible. Biggest issue is that so many people seem to have such a variety of problems with these printers that it's tricky to get a handle on one specific problem.

We've actually taken delivery of another much newer P2055 so it doesn't look as though it's a problem with a specific batch as it affects newer P2055's asweel as our original batch. Because of this I'm doubtlful as to whether replacing the formatter board would resolve the issue.

Thank Post
    One of my 2015s that had the formatter replaced 3 months ago failed yesterday!
    Interestingly the board is now referred to as an "Exchange Odessey Formatter PCB"
    the fault now is power it on and it's a random LED fault generator!
    Yes, the LEDs light in an entirely random sequence, one time a fuser fault next a laser then a jam or paper out.

The formatter is definately living up to it's name!

Thank Post
    FYI HP have just contacted us to advise that a new firmware update is available for the P2055s dated 8th March this year (20100308). Hard to get too excited, given it's the 3rd we'll applied to fix the issue!, but will post our findings. Anyone else who wants to try it can download it from HP's website at the link below :-

HP LaserJet P2050 Printer series
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 18th May 2010 at 03:24 PM.

Thank Post
    Nope, still drops off the network after a random amount of time even with the latest failware

Thank Post
    We had the problem with 2055 not letting you set a jetdirect password, which the new firmware has solved; we recently got another 2055dn as the network version of the 2015 replacement (2035 iirc) isnt available in the UK yet - this has been rock solid so far!

On the webadmin networking tab > diagnostics > config page

the old 2055 'patched' shows "Firmware Version: V.37.12.IR6498"
    the new 2055 (untouched) shows "Firmware Version: V.37.12.SD"

What version do you see?
    Last edited by nicklec; 19th May 2010 at 11:14 AM.

Thank Post
    The one I've just patched shows the code : Firmware Version: V.37.12.IR6498

We've ordered different batches and the same model of P2055 at different times (the newer P2055s seem to have gigabit ethernet in place of 100mb) but all have the same issue unforutnately.

Thank Post
    We have about 15 x 2015n`s
    They seem to just go offline, but I can still ping them and goto the webmin. In there if i change the lanuage to french and then back to english it reboots the printer and gets it back online...

Incase anyone needs a new formatter board, before buying one have you tried cooking it in the oven ?
    HP 2015DN Printer - Paper Jam Fix !!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by burgemaster View Post
    We have about 15 x 2015n`s
    They seem to just go offline, but I can still ping them and goto the webmin. In there if i change the lanuage to french and then back to english it reboots the printer and gets it back online...
    We've actually never had many issues with our P2015's (we have about 7-8 of them) other than the occasional one losing it's IP address every month or two (which can be resolved by added a reservation in DHCP)

With regards to 'cooking' PCB's to "fix" issues I think I'll give that a miss! Even if it does solve the problem temporarily it's almost certianly going to fail again with the same issue !

Thank Post
    I've had the same issues. Was driving me crazy.
    But found a thread saying to bake the boards in an oven at 175c for 10 mins. Believe it or not it works. I've done 6 or 7 now and its worked every time. Fixes solder joint problems that are apparently common on this model hp formatter boards.

Thank Post
    FYI - There is a firmware udpate for the P2055's, only available via HP support AFAIK, which has resolved the issue for us. See thread below :-

HP LaserJet P2055DN's going offline and not responding

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast