+ Post New Thread
Wired Networks Thread, Netgear VLANS in Technical; I'm trying to move domain pc's onto their own VLAN for the purposes of vlan routing via a layer 3 ...

Thank Post

Netgear VLANS

I'm trying to move domain pc's onto their own VLAN for the purposes of vlan routing via a layer 3 switch and I'm running into all kinds of issues (switch lockouts etc.), can someone look at the attached and tell me it's right ?

flans.jpg

Thank Post
    ports should only be untagged in 1 vlan at a time.

You probably want to remove vlan 1 from all ports except 1, 23 and 24.

Vlan 10 wants to be untagged on ports 2-22, tagged on ports 23 and 24, and probably not set at all on port 1

You also need to make sure that the PVID is set correctly on all ports. pvid 1 for ports 1, 23, and 24. and 10 for all other ports. (Edit: I can see you've done this now. missed it first time round)

Also, have you sorted out the routing?
    Last edited by Chris_Cook; 17th July 2014 at 05:32 PM.

3. Thanks to Chris_Cook from:

caffrey (17th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Cheers

I'll need to tag port 1 in vlan 10 I think because of the domain SSID I forgot to mention sorry, so like this ?

flans2.jpg

Looking at that I think it makes sense now

Only problem is I think I need to update the firmware on some of them as VLAN 1 isn't editable :/

I've sorted out the layer 3 switch, but haven't really managed to test it, it looks like it should work though.
    Last edited by caffrey; 17th July 2014 at 05:41 PM.

Thank Post
    Some of the netgear switches do not allow you to Tag on vLan 1 (as I found out with my new batch of GS728TP's) regardless of updating firmware

Thank Post
    Does this cause a problem then ?

Thank Post
    I've not found it to cause me a problem yet.
    We've a fairly basic vLan setup at present with vLan 1 for most of the network still, and vLan 30 for our BYoD traffic.
    Setting up our new Ruckus AP's this week we've found that as long as we have vLan 1 untagged and vLan 30 tagged it seems to work fine for the switches.

Obviously if I didn't want a port to be on vLan 1 I can still change the pVID to the specific vLan and it will then untag it happily.

Thank Post
    Our network is the same, I've used vlan 1 with 3 ssid's for ages with no problem at all on these switches, I'm introducing a layer 3 switch in so I can route between vlans and it's not very happy routing on vlan 1 (I didn't have a lot of success).

Problem is when I'm messing about with these switches I'm getting random lockups and they fall off the network - maybe I need to start small scale and build up - it's a pain working on a live lan with limited availability for downtime

Thank Post
    I've been reasonably lucky with 12 new switches to play with and a large collection of older ones that are not too critical if I accidentally loose connection to for a couple of minutes. (plus the bonus of no L3 switch so far)

It would be great if vLan 1 was editable like the rest of the range, but hey they are cheaper than HP so price can have a few minor foibles.

Thank Post
    Netgear can't really be faulted for the price, the interface is awful and slow but they are rock solid - these have been running 24x7 for 5 years without a hiccup. Mind you I thought the gs724 interfaces were bad, but the layer 3 one is woeful!

Thank Post
    Oh I'm not knocking the price, or the reliability. Compared to the Allied Telesyn kit we used to run that would fail for no reason, I've not had a single Netgear piece of kit die to date.

Some people love the HP network kit for the robustness and scalability, but with a limited budget I think the compromise of a lower price but a interface that is functional is worth it.
    Hopefully you will get your vLan routing issues ironed out.

12. Thanks to Boredguy from:

caffrey (17th July 2014)

Thank Post
    I don't have a lot positive to say about netgear switches. Especially when it comes to vlans.

Some things I've found with the older netgear switches:
    1. use IE and set it to compatibility mode (IE7 mode works well for me). Otherwise the interface may only half work. It doesn't play nicely with chrome.
    2. Install java.
    3. do a firmware update. There are lots of bugs in some of the switches.
    4. Every different model uses a different interface.
    5. as mentioned above, vlan 1 must be removed from a port in a specific order or else it will complain.

I agree, netgear kit rarely 'fails', but it does have issues. The cheap HP/ex 3com kit is much more reliable, and not very expensive.

14. Thanks to Chris_Cook from:

caffrey (17th July 2014)

Thank Post

Netgear VLANS

Caffrey I've got a few older (about a dozen) netgear switches you can have if you want to arrange postage/collection.

24/48 port variants with gigabit SFP uplink , might have a few PoE ones too. I'll double check what we have.

If you want to have a look at our LAN and VLAN setup (we have 13 VLAN's) via our layer3 core your more than welcome to a teamviewer session.

Our current core comprises of 6 x GSM7353S/M5300 stacked which I am replacing over the weekend with

2 x XSM7224S (m7300)
    With 2 XsM7224 (M7100)

The m7100 have a 4 x 10gb MLAG (Multi Chasis Link Aggregation) between the two switches then each switch has 2 x 10gb LAG's into the same LAG on the M5300

That will enable me to up all our edge switches (GS752TXS) from 10gb to 20gb

Just setting up replication between two netgear readydata san's which are great!!
    Last edited by jszkudlapski; 17th July 2014 at 08:52 PM.

16. Thanks to jszkudlapski from:

caffrey (17th July 2014)

Thank Post
    I use an old version of firefox version 2.0 I think, works flawless - I have all the switches in their own tabs and it's standalone. But the interfaces are still awful and when you're testing with the slow interface and you multiply that by 20 switches there's a lot of time wasted . I think the network starts to drop off once I start introducing changes to the point where I start losing switches - luckily I've not gone too far to the point where I can't reverse what I've done.
    I'm tempted to put in a request for a bunch of HP switches to be fair.
    @jszkudlapski may take you up on that, got any screen grabs you could send me ?

Thank Post
    Of course, drop me a PM with your email address

I'm logged on now so can send you some

Thank Post
    You sir have mail

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread