+ Post New Thread
Wired Networks Thread, WAN Setup recommendations in Technical; ...
    Thank Post

WAN Setup recommendations

We have managed to get a WAN 100Mb point to point link put in place to a Primary School in our academy and I am keen to know what other people have done already or what you think the best setup would be?

The main things we want to achieve are the following:

• Primary school to use our filtering (Smoothwall) and share our internet connection
    • Primary school to use our finance system and other web portals
    • Primary school to use our IP phone system
    • Use Impero on Primary school PC’s so we can remotely support

The three main ways I am thinking would be:

• Use VLAN’s on either side of the link and add secondary network cards to our virtual servers we want to provide access to. I think this would work for everything apart from Impero as I am not sure how the Impero server would work if at all with two network cards. Plus a negative to this is it adds quite a lot of configuration change to each server we want to give access to.

• Setup the primary school to change their network addressing to match ours and then restrict the DHCP scope to use addresses we wouldn’t on our side, and then block DHCP between the link (not really looked into this but I am sure it could be done) we could then plug the link into our core switch and all machines would be able to talk freely to each other and we could also setup a trust between domains?

• Share DHCP and DNS but I guess this would increase traffic and if the link failed then everything at their end would come to a halt maybe setup a secondary DHCP, DNS at their end?

Now am I missing something is there an easier way to achieve what we are wanting to do? Or has anyone done it slightly differently?

There are only around 50 PC’s at the Primary School so it isn’t going to be huge traffic and we are not planning on sharing file shares or anything like that.

Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,797 Times in 1,548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would do option 1 without the network cards. You don't need to do this. On your core switch add a second VLAN, give it an IP address and you will be able to route between the subets. Assuming you have a layer 3 core switch, guess you have as that has been standard for 10 + years. That way each site has there own subnet, you will setup a IP helper on the primary school VLAN to point to your DHCP server. Just setup a new scope on your DHCP server.

3. Thanks to FN-GM from:

lmgtfy (12th July 2014)

Thank Post
    @FN-GM sounds like a plan, thought I must be missing something, With your plan would DNS stay at the primary school? And would I remove dhcp at the primary school after the helper ip and new scope at are end is setup?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well you can have either way, move it all onto your systems or have them separate. You pick.

What switch do you have at the core?

Thank Post
    Cheers, we have two HP 5500 HI in a stack, at our primary school I believe they have a 3COM 4200G

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not dealt with HP switches so can't give any pointers on config.

Thank Post
    No problem I think I've seen references to helper ip's and you've saved me from setting up unnecessary secondary network cards :-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Do you have a flat network setup or a VLAN configured?

Thank Post
    At the minute we have setup a vlan for byod wireless and one for ip phone and then one new one for the primary school, we can talk over the new vlan to the primary school already if I tag the network port

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lmgtfy View Post
    We have managed to get a WAN 100Mb point to point link put in place to a Primary School in our academy and I am keen to know what other people have done already or what you think the best setup would be?
    Do you have a WAN link between the school (with two fixed public IP addresses), or a LAN link between the schools? If you have a WAN link then you are really needing a site-to-site VPN solution to provide a secure connection between the two sites and allow sharing of network resources.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you have VLANS already you in luck, just need to setup a new one for the primary.

Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    Do you have a WAN link between the school (with two fixed public IP addresses), or a LAN link between the schools? If you have a WAN link then you are really needing a site-to-site VPN solution to provide a secure connection between the two sites and allow sharing of network resources.
    By the looks of it he will have a Virgin or BT point to point circuit. These ares ecure.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    By the looks of it he will have a Virgin or BT point to point circuit. These ares ecure.
    Yes it's a BT point to point circuit. Apart from setting an ip for the vlan interface in the core switch and a helper IP address are there any other routes or acl's I would have to setup? Does the DHCP have to be at our end for the inter vlan routing to work? Lol I wish I knew a but more about this like you :-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The DHCP can be anywhere. If the DHCP server is on the new primary school VLAN you don't need to setup a helper.

15. Thanks to FN-GM from:

lmgtfy (13th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Go for option 1. That's how we normally set things up. BT EAD circuits are just point to point fibre so VLAN's will work over them absolutely fine.

Dave

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread