+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 38 of 38
Wired Networks Thread, HP Switches - Recommended Models? in Technical; Originally Posted by psydii ... Which is really annoying if that partner are a bunch of numpties and you'd rather ...
  1. #31

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,129
    Thank Post
    522
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,975 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by psydii View Post
    ... Which is really annoying if that partner are a bunch of numpties and you'd rather work with somebody else.
    You just have to carefully select the reseller to start the process. Make sure its someone you have used and trust, or has a good reputation.

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    44
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Thanks guys - interesting tip there with the discount. Can anyone recommend a good supplier? We are in Lincolnshire. We'd be looking for the equipment to be specified, supplied and installed - along with the routing of new 10gb compliant fibre and cabinet swap-outs (existing too shallow).

  3. #33

    sonofsanta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Posts
    5,112
    Thank Post
    909
    Thanked 1,507 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Blog Entries
    47
    Rep Power
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by smarties11 View Post
    Thanks guys - interesting tip there with the discount. Can anyone recommend a good supplier? We are in Lincolnshire. We'd be looking for the equipment to be specified, supplied and installed - along with the routing of new 10gb compliant fibre and cabinet swap-outs (existing too shallow).
    We've used SwitchShop for all of the above at various points, had great advice and service all the way (they're Herts based, but we're in Lincs and it's not been a problem in the slightest). Had a consultant out to help with the stacking and VLANning that we did at the same time we replaced the core, and he was infinitely patient and willing to let me learn what I was doing.

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    243
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    We have two 5412's that were supplied by RM when the school was built (before my time).

    They were supposed to provide a fully redundant solution (so we could lose one switch and it wouldn't be catastrophic). However, the 5412's cannot be stacked, so it has no redundancy. Marvellous!

  5. #35

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,129
    Thank Post
    522
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,975 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall_Paul View Post
    We have two 5412's that were supplied by RM when the school was built (before my time).

    They were supposed to provide a fully redundant solution (so we could lose one switch and it wouldn't be catastrophic). However, the 5412's cannot be stacked, so it has no redundancy. Marvellous!
    You don't need stacking for redundancy though I don't think...

    You can use VRRP for router setup (for inter-vlan routing), and MSTP for the load balancing/failover stuff.

  6. #36
    DMcCoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Isle of Wight
    Posts
    3,483
    Thank Post
    10
    Thanked 502 Times in 442 Posts
    Rep Power
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall_Paul View Post
    We have two 5412's that were supplied by RM when the school was built (before my time).

    They were supposed to provide a fully redundant solution (so we could lose one switch and it wouldn't be catastrophic). However, the 5412's cannot be stacked, so it has no redundancy. Marvellous!
    You need to have a link to each switch and use VRRP on the vlan (along with using mstp to spead the vlan load between switches). This is how it's supposed to be configured for redundancy, obviously you need a connection to each core from the switches and servers.

    Edit: beaten by localzuk, didn't refresh the page
    Last edited by DMcCoy; 25th June 2014 at 01:59 PM.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    243
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    You need to have a link to each switch and use VRRP on the vlan (along with using mstp to spead the vlan load between switches). This is how it's supposed to be configured for redundancy, obviously you need a connection to each core from the switches and servers.
    I have to confess this is not one of my areas of expertise unfortunately and I had the misfortune to inherit the cludge.

    I think VRRP is enabled but not MSTP and we certainly haven't got connections to each core from the switches and servers.

    Can anybody recommend anyone who could help us make sure our 5412s are correctly set up for redundancy?

  8. #38
    nicholab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    1,522
    Thank Post
    4
    Thanked 99 Times in 95 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    53
    Stacked switches allow for neater cabling of patch panels as you can interleave switches and patch panels.
    Last edited by nicholab; 25th June 2014 at 03:01 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Recommend me a HP switch
    By Mr.Ben in forum Wired Networks
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 25th July 2013, 01:33 PM
  2. Monitoring HP Switches in Nagios
    By Lee_K_81 in forum *nix
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 15th July 2011, 08:13 AM
  3. Need a new switch, recommendations?
    By Geoff in forum Hardware
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 22nd November 2007, 09:54 AM
  4. Switch Recommendation
    By Ste_Harve in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 8th July 2007, 08:06 PM
  5. HP switch reboot, Help!
    By phil_thebeans in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 6th March 2007, 08:51 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •