+ Post New Thread
Wired Networks Thread, Patching a PSTN connection through pre-existing CAT5 in Technical; I'll try to make this simple, as I have a habit of making things more complicated than they should be! ...
    Thank Post

Patching a PSTN connection through pre-existing CAT5

I'll try to make this simple, as I have a habit of making things more complicated than they should be!

I need to make a Master PSTN socket available in a different room of our building to where the main socket currently is. There is CAT5 cabling between the two locations, so I figured I'd use that. I've looked into the available adaptors (this sort of thing from Amazon), but they come in 'primary' and 'secondary' versions. I understand that every domestic PSTN line has a master socket and all others are secondary to that, but I can't figure out which of these adaptors is appropriate in my situation. So, here's my question:

When the PSTN socket I'm connecting to is already a Primary/Master socket (i.e. it has the capacitor etc required for making a telephone ring), should I use a primary or secondary type adaptor to extend it's connection?

By my reckoning, I need a secondary type adaptor (given that the master PSTN socket already has the required electronics). I would need a primary type adaptor if I was sending the PSTN line over CAT5 before it reached the initial 'Master' socket. Am I correct?
    Last edited by dayzd; 23rd April 2014 at 02:57 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As far as I know the wiring is the same, all you need is some rj11 (modem to modem cables) to chuck the raw phone line onto cat5 and pull it off at the other end, the modem type cables are speced to plug into rj45 if not as reliable as rj45 when not plugged in carefully.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 23rd April 2014 at 03:13 PM.

3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

dayzd (23rd April 2014)

Thank Post
    For some reason, before now I didn't realise RJ11 plugs fit RJ45 sockets! That was the crucial missing piece - I've had a furtle around my store cupboard and realised I should have enough cables already to achieve what I want without having to go off and buy any silly adaptors.

Thanks, Synack!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread