+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Wired Networks Thread, Help with Network layout in Technical; Just a general question - not actually setting up a network etc but I just wanted to know Basically how ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,110 Times in 1,016 Posts

Help with Network layout

Just a general question - not actually setting up a network etc but I just wanted to know

Basically how would you setup and connect the network so that it is secure and what would connect to what for redundancy etc that includes the below items

* Domain Controllers ( regardless of being PDC OR BDC although I know they have changed this recently ) so effectively print servers / file servers / email server(s) etc etc
    * Proxy Server
    * Firewall
    * VPN Solution
    * Internet Connection ( Router or BT Connection or whatever )
    * Core Switches
    * Edge Switches

Also why would you connect the above items in that manner or way ?
    @Arthur , @seawolf , @SYNACK

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,041 Times in 1,485 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1. Domain Controller
    2. Core Switches
    3. Email Server
    4. File Server
    5. Print Server
    6. Anti Virus Solution - Could be a UTM or Server
    7. Internet Connection - Doesn't matter if fibre or copper, as long as connection is stable at speeds we asked for
    8. Proxy Solution - Could be a UTM or Server
    9. VPN Solution
    10. Edge Switches
    11. Edge Machines
    12. Group Policies

Based on your list, and expanded a bit, that is how I would get the network started from scratch.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    1. Domain Controller
    2. Core Switches
    3. Email Server
    4. File Server
    5. Print Server
    6. Anti Virus Solution - Could be a UTM or Server
    7. Internet Connection - Doesn't matter if fibre or copper, as long as connection is stable at speeds we asked for
    8. Proxy Solution - Could be a UTM or Server
    9. VPN Solution
    10. Edge Switches
    11. Edge Machines
    12. Group Policies

Based on your list, and expanded a bit, that is how I would get the network started from scratch.
    Any chance of a network diagram so I can see whats connected to what. Also what is a UTM as you have that abbreviation a few times

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    UTM = Unified Threat Management

and no, no diagram, not allowed to send it out unfortunately.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    UTM = Unified Threat Management

and no, no diagram, not allowed to send it out unfortunately.
    Not asking about your network setup - I just mean a general one so I can see what connects to what and why you connect those devices in that manner etc etc

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    regardless of being PDC OR BDC although I know they have changed this recently
    Recently? There haven't been backup domain controllers in Windows domains since Windows 2000 was released...

7. 2 Thanks to Norphy:

john (11th March 2014), mac_shinobi (11th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    Recently? There haven't been backup domain controllers in Windows domains since Windows 2000 was released...
    More global catalog servers and also how you promote the server as can be a domain controller or whatever else depending on the options you select etc , just guessing here ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    More global catalog servers and also how you promote the server as can be a domain controller or whatever else depending on the options you select etc , just guessing here ...
    I think, what you are driving at are FSMO roles...

10. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

mac_shinobi (11th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Trying to be a bit more useful now...

We have a pair of HP 8212 switches acting as our cores. Connected to both of those are HP 5400 edge switches. There are various VLANs on them which handle traffic for digital signage, servers, workstations, voice, CCTV, e-registration and cashless catering and our DMZ.

All of our servers are connected to the server VLAN. Any which require publishing onto the Internet are put into the DMZ VLAN as well. Inbetween our internet connection and the main network is a SonicWALL UTM which handles filtering, publishing, virus scanning etc. There are two SonicWALL devices for hardware redundancy.

We don't have a failover internet connection yet but Janet are apparently investigating this for all of their connected institutions.

You need to have at least one GC per domain, preferably two. Three DCs per domain is the recommended minimum. The Infrastructure master role can't be on the same DC as a GC.
    Last edited by Norphy; 11th March 2014 at 02:13 PM.

12. Thanks to Norphy from:

mac_shinobi (11th March 2014)

Thank Post
    The Infrastructure master role can't be on the same DC as a GC.
    While the BPA may whine, it can be on a GC if it's a) a single domain (infrastructure master has nothing to do) or b) all your DCs are GCs in a single or multi-domain/forest setup.

See: FSMO placement and optimization on Active Directory domain controllers down near the bottom.

Thank Post
    I could seriously use a network diagram so I can physically see how it connects together....

Also with regards to DHCP and DNS, how do they work together and keep each other updated so as not to have out of date info ie

ComputerOne - assigned ip address info via dhcp, does dhcp update dns to reflect that ComputerOne has been given the address 1.1.1.1

Versus

ComputerTwo - assigned ip address info via dhcp which is updated in dns to reflect it has 1.1.1.2

Also how does DHCP know to assign the computers in the Client VLAN the ip addresses within the Client IP Scope so if I had a dhcp scope in DHCP for the Client VLAN, how would you ensure that only the clients within the Client VLAN get these ip addresses ?

So for example if I had an ip range of 1.1.1.2 all the way to 1.1.1.254 excluding loop back addresses and any others that can't be used, how would you get the Client VLAN to only get this dhcp range assigned to that vlan ?
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 11th March 2014 at 02:58 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think this is the current edition: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Exam-Ref-70-...4546754&sr=1-4

Sounds like what you want/need is to work through the first half dozen chapters in a VM environment.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Also with regards to DHCP and DNS, how do they work together and keep each other updated so as not to have out of date info ie

ComputerOne - assigned ip address info via dhcp, does dhcp update dns to reflect that ComputerOne has been given the address 1.1.1.1

Versus

ComputerTwo - assigned ip address info via dhcp which is updated in dns to reflect it has 1.1.1.2
    With a Windows DHCP server, you can set it to update DNS as it assigns new IP addresses. In addition, a Windows client will always update its IP address with the DNS server when it boots. You can also force an update manually by running ipconfig /registerdns

Also how does DHCP know to assign the computers in the Client VLAN the ip addresses within the Client IP Scope so if I had a dhcp scope in DHCP for the Client VLAN, how would you ensure that only the clients within the Client VLAN get these ip addresses ?

So for example if I had an ip range of 1.1.1.2 all the way to 1.1.1.254 excluding loop back addresses and any others that can't be used, how would you get the Client VLAN to only get this dhcp range assigned to that vlan ?
    I don't profess to be an expert in this area but as I understand it, there is a "helper" which listens on your switch/router. It forwards the DHCP request onto the DHCP server. The DHCP server sees that that request came from an interface on the router from a specific range and allocates it an address accordingly. As long as you have an appropriate scope set up on your DHCP server, it just works.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Untitled.png

Not the best, but here you go

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't profess to be an expert in this area but as I understand it, there is a "helper" which listens on your switch/router. It forwards the DHCP request onto the DHCP server. The DHCP server sees that that request came from an interface on the router from a specific range and allocates it an address accordingly. As long as you have an appropriate scope set up on your DHCP server, it just works.
    When a new machine needs an IP address from DHCP it broadcasts a request packet across the network. All machines on the network will recieve this packet. Only the DHCP server will respond. A more indepth breakdown can be found on wikipedia: Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast