+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Wired Networks Thread, Help with Network layout in Technical; Originally Posted by tmcd35 When a new machine needs an IP address from DHCP it broadcasts a request packet across ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,498 Times in 1,939 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    When a new machine needs an IP address from DHCP it broadcasts a request packet across the network. All machines on the network will recieve this packet. Only the DHCP server will respond. A more indepth breakdown can be found on wikipedia: Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Slight modification - all devices in the same subnet will receive the packet. If you have multiple subnets, with routing between them, the router will forward those requests to the DHCP server as specified in its config (or not, depending on your setup). If you don't have routing between subnets, the packet will only reach devices in that subnet - so a DHCP server on a different subnet would not receive it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 981 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    I don't profess to be an expert in this area but as I understand it, there is a "helper" which listens on your switch/router. It forwards the DHCP request onto the DHCP server. The DHCP server sees that that request came from an interface on the router from a specific range and allocates it an address accordingly. As long as you have an appropriate scope set up on your DHCP server, it just works.
    What is stopping the dhcp server from assigning an ip address from a different dhcp scope that is meant for a different VLAN / Subnet or whatever and what forces dhcp to only assign a particular VLAN or subnet with a specific ip address from that ip address range from the relevant dhcp scope and not an ip address from a different or another dhcp scope ??

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,445 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you set the DHCP server to assign a scope to a set of machines within Active Directory, that is what it will do, it wont work outside of those constraints

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    If you set the DHCP server to assign a scope to a set of machines within Active Directory, that is what it will do, it wont work outside of those constraints
    never done that before - any links / guides on how you would do this ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Step-by-Step: Configure DHCP Using Policy-based Assignment < all on technet. Everything you need. You really need to work on your google searches!

6. Thanks to nephilim from:

mac_shinobi (11th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've never heard of Active Directory having any control over DHCP IP address issuance before, but that may be down to my never having looked specifically for it or had a need. DHCP itself handles VLAN based DHCP assignment based on the subnet of the VLAN. That's the extent of it as far as I know.

However, from the linked article:

The DHCP server determines the scope to which a DHCP client belongs based on the gateway IP address of the relay agent or the interface of the DHCP server on which it receives the DHCP client packet. Once the server determines the client scope, the server evaluates the DHCP packet against the policies applicable for the scope in the processing order specified. The policies applicable at a scope are those configured at the scope and those inherited from the server. A single client request can match multiple policies.
    Last edited by localzuk; 11th March 2014 at 03:47 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    you can set the policies to pick the machines within an OU for machines. I learnt this in college, so if I am remembering badly, then fair enough I am happy to stand corrected.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    never done that before - any links / guides on how you would do this ?
    Basic DHCP Setup on Windows Server 2012

10. Thanks to detjo from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    you can set the policies to pick the machines within an OU for machines. I learnt this in college, so if I am remembering badly, then fair enough I am happy to stand corrected.
    That description sounds an aweful lot like GPO's, which to the best of my knowledge have no effect on DHCP.

Thank Post
    Step-by-Step: Configure DHCP Using Policy-based Assignment < all on technet. Everything you need. You really need to work on your google searches!
    Not having done or dealt with it before I had no idea what it would have been called and hence what I needed to search for *shrugs*

Hence the question which you kindly answered as per above - Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,650 Times in 1,471 Posts
    As per the article you linked to this is a new feature available with 2012 so unless you've only just left college you're remembering something else entirely and even then the policies that the article talks about are setup in the DHCP mmc and are nothing to do with Active Directory policies.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    From that linked page, it looks like you're right but for the life of me I cannot find 'Policies' in DHCP on my 2012 DHCP server at all!

Edit: DERP! Looks like I'm an idiot. DHCP MMC on a Windows 7 machine is quite obviously not going to do it is it localzuk?! *slaps face*

However, that feature doesn't link to AD or OUs.
    Last edited by localzuk; 11th March 2014 at 04:00 PM.

15. Thanks to localzuk from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    As per the article you linked to this is a new feature available with 2012 so unless you've only just left college you're remembering something else entirely and even then the policies that the article talks about are setup in the DHCP mmc and are nothing to do with Active Directory policies.

Ben
    I did a night course last year in Server 2012. Didn't finish it due to personal circumstances.

Thank Post
    Is it possible someone could reply with a network layout diagram so I can see how the aforementioned items are supposed to connect together. Network diagram as per a google search but obviously not relevant to what I am after

Stack Overflow Network Configuration « Blog – Stack Exchange

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    did you not see my post?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast