+ Post New Thread
Wired Networks Thread, VPN Question Help in Technical; I need help trying to explain something to a none IT Tech/junior who works with me. We have a client ...

Thank Post

VPN Question Help

I need help trying to explain something to a none IT Tech/junior who works with me.

We have a client who had machines on a network which inst theirs and each machine VPN's via client back to their network. Now they have a printer which is on the network which isn't theirs and due to ACL's etc they cannot print locally as such when connected to the VPN.

How is the best way to describe this so he understands how it works and can advise them what they need to change to make it work?

I did try to explain but I am not convinced it went in and me with the only IT experiencing trying to explain this and firewalls to him and by boss who has the title IT manager is proving to be difficult, trying to get them to understand the basics on how each works.

Even if you cannot explain any websites with useful information/diagrams to explain it will be great.

Thanks in advanced.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewL View Post
    I need help trying to explain something to a none IT Tech/junior who works with me.

We have a client who had machines on a network which inst theirs and each machine VPN's via client back to their network. Now they have a printer which is on the network which isn't theirs and due to ACL's etc they cannot print locally as such when connected to the VPN.

How is the best way to describe this so he understands how it works and can advise them what they need to change to make it work?

I did try to explain but I am not convinced it went in and me with the only IT experiencing trying to explain this and firewalls to him and by boss who has the title IT manager is proving to be difficult, trying to get them to understand the basics on how each works.

Even if you cannot explain any websites with useful information/diagrams to explain it will be great.

Thanks in advanced.
    Have they had a background in networking at all?

A company has two sites, Angus is from site A and Bob is from site B.

Angus visits Bob, he needs to access his documents on site A. He has a choice. A REALLY long cable (forget the 100m limit for now, this is poetic licence...) going back to site A OR a VPN which will make a secured tunnel for his communications to head over the internet on site B to the VPN entry point on site A. Angus now has connectivity into site A as if he was sitting at his desk! Bob on the other hand doesn't have access into site A as they were too lazy to buy a WAN and the VPN is private to Angus' station.

And now for EVERYONEs favourite networking video:
    internet tcp/ip in work, networking, data transfer - YouTube

Computers receiving TCP and UDP traffic have around 65000 ports available to them, firewalls, at a simple layer, sit in between network segments and dictate which IP addresses are allowed to talk and over which port they are able to talk on.

Thank Post
    Nope and limited IT knowledge, enough to get by.

The bit I need to explain is how a VPN isolates the machine from the local network and how to get the local network talking when VPNing via a client.

Thank Post
    Doesn't that all totally depend on the local routing and the clients default gateway though? Networks can get really confusing without knowing the fundamentals.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread