+ Post New Thread
Wired Networks Thread, Weird cable problem in Technical; I know this isnt ideal but would save the school time and money if i could get it to work. ...

Thank Post

Weird cable problem

I know this isnt ideal but would save the school time and money if i could get it to work.
    We have a new classroom that needs an access point.
    There was a temporart solution in place which was
    Main Patch panel ---> Network socket ----> Very long patch cable to computer (both ends were rj45) this worked. However now we have trunking up they want a propper network socket in the classroom. As this patch cable is already there its a propper solid core LSZH my thoughts were to cut off the rj45 and connect it properly to a network socket.

So its now
    Main patch panel -->network socket <---rj45-------cable terminated in network socket--- short patch cable to computer.

This now no longer works
    If i go to the first network socket and connect a patch cable it works. So everything is ok from the main patch panel to that socket?
    So i thought it was the cable between network sockets... BUT heres the interesting thing...
    there first networks socket has a POE Unify (Wifi) in the next port so if I plug swap the cables around in and plug the long cable into what now has POE then the network in the new classroom works?!?! so its not that cable?

Does that make sense?

Can anyone tell me whats happening?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts
    After swapping the POE UniFi around which gets the port in the new classroom working, does the UniFi AP stop working or do they both work after swapping it around or what exactly ?

Thank Post
    If I swap the port around then the UniFi stops working as it needs POE but the classroom works.

Thank Post
    The network socket , is it something similar to :

cat5_socket.jpg

Where by you have to patch in two different port numbers, almost like there is only one data point / port patched in to a POE switch or something to that effect ......

Thank Post
    Screen Shot 2014-03-05 at 18.59.20.png @mac_shinobi I hope this diagram makes sense as it is now, the uniFi works as expected but the computer doesnt.
    If I swap A and B over in the first network socket then the UniFi doesnt work as it needs POE but the computer works.
    If I unplug both from the first network socket and use a patch lead into that to a laptop all ports in that socket works.

The network sockets look like the one above
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    This may sound patronising but have you checked the wiring? Are you able to test all cables with a laptop or cable testers?

Have you got enough spare cable to bodge together the network socket ie, disconnect the cables from the back of the RJ45 port, cut and strip back the pairs of the cable and join together. If this test works then put it all back together, hopefully things should then work.
    Last edited by timbo343; 5th March 2014 at 09:04 PM.

Thank Post
    Why does the same cable for network socket 2 go from one network socket to another network socket ?

Surely each network socket needs to be on its own run of network cable going into the patch panel and then be patched in to its own port on the relevant switch ( so just the normal data switch ) ??

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,878 Times in 1,396 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am with @mac_shinobi on this. Your wiring diagram shows 2 network sockets running off the 1 cable or atleast joining together, which will cause the issues you've described.

9. Thanks to nephilim from:

mac_shinobi (6th March 2014)

Thank Post
    I think the cable from the second socket is plugged into it... not wired into the back of it. As in: take a Cat5 cable, put an RJ45 on one end, and a wall box on the other end. The RJ45 end is plugged into socket 2 and it merely acts as an extension for it's originating socket.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,878 Times in 1,396 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Either way it would still cause issues because it isn't a properly patched socket.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread