+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Wired Networks Thread, Looking for a procurve expert in Technical; Hey guys I have inherited a procurve network and have had a problem this week that has caused me to ...

Thank Post

Looking for a procurve expert

Hey guys

I have inherited a procurve network and have had a problem this week that has caused me to wipe out the configuration, and start again now we have approx 10 vlans that are used but I'm trying to simplify the setup for ease of management.

Some questions I have are do I need every vlan on every switch? Should I have an admin vlan for the techies.

If you want to get in contact I can give more details.

Das

Thank Post
    Well it depends on your network of course but 10 does sound a bit much. Ive been looking a setting vlans up on ours and have deduced on 1 management, 1 for main network and 1 each for different wireless lans (student byod, staff byod etc)

Thank Post
    It depends on what each VLAN is for i.e. If some of the vlans are designed for stations in geographical locations then obviously you won't need all of these on each edge switch. That said it certainly does no harm to add them all.

Thank Post
    We currently have zero vlans.
    We are shortly having WAN installed site wide. Would it be a good time now to learn and set this up ourselves? Or leave it to the install guys? All procurves too. Will be Interested in how you get on!

Thank Post
    We have 10 different vlans for workstations ie each location

But they are all pushed out from the core switch have been told this is a bad idea?

Voice vlan

Printers vlan

Server vlan

Then 3 different wifi vlans and lots of unused

Sent from my iPad using EduGeek

Thank Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by pushed out by the core switch, but 10 vlans for workstations by location seems a bit much unless your running hundreds of workstations from each location?

Thank Post
    I guess I mean they are dynamic vlans was told this is a bad idea thoughts?

Thank Post
    Depends on how your network is setup, size etc... I wouldn't say 10 is too many if the number of clients, setup warrants it.

I have 19 VLANs on my Core Switch... (HP 5406zl), I'm working from a /20 address range (4096 addresses), firstly split into 2x /21 ranges, one of those /21 is solely for wireless clients, the other /21 is subnetted further, broken down (as logically as possible) into areas of the school.

I don't necessarily have all VLANs on every edge switch, only those edge switches that need to serve multiple VLANs for whatever reason.

Thank Post
    This isn't a x is the right number of vlans type of thing. It very much depends on your infrastructure, design philosophy, and goals. We have quite a few vlans defined (and they're defined on each switch too) but then we're a college with a large number of workstations, a complex set of requirements and 44 managed switches to look after, plus the usual assortment of extra dumb ones tucked here and there.

Do you require separation of a group of network devices for security reasons? Then (while a VLAN isn't exactly a hard security boundary) they probably need to be in their own vlan. Do you need to route traffic around a large network? Do you need to provide alternate routes for site interlinks? Do you need to keep Ethernet broadcast domains to a manageable size? These are all questions that a VLAN might be at least part of the answer to.

Have you considered getting Procurve Manager Plus? This makes managing a number of HP switches much easier.

Thank Post
    Yeah we did look at it but in the end got device expert from manage engine

Thank Post
    We have 7 VLANs for PCs per location, plus say another 6 for other seperation/security purposes. Only have each VLAN presented on the switches where they are needed.

Been trying HP PCM over 12 months but it's crashed my network every time without fail, so definitely interested in Device Expert - not come across that.

Thank Post
    Here is my problem, HP support is as near as useless.

I have scrubbed the problem switch and built a complete new config.

4 VLANS

Voice

port 48 is connected to the core via fibre and the port is set to untagged if i set it to tagged for all the vlans i lose connectivity to it from admin pc's

should ports that need voice and vlan 1 have these both tagged? or do i just set it to tagged vlan 1

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The VLANs need to match at both ends of a link. If you have a fibre link tagged with all VLANs at one end, they need to be tagged with all VLANs at the other end too.

If you have the default VLAN untagged and the rest tagged, it has to be the same both ends.

Thank Post
    Uplinks carry tagged traffic for all the vlans you wish to be available at the connected switch (although you can probably leave the default vlan untagged), the ports connected to client workstations will need to be untagged for the correct vlan.
    VOIP phones can usually handle tagged traffic as in some instances you will have a client PC running off the same connection.
    Last edited by Tallwood_6; 28th February 2014 at 03:13 PM.

Thank Post
    We have 6 static vlans and these are only on the switches they are required at.

Vlan1 is our default broadcast domain
    Vlan2 is the incoming tunnel between our primary school and the core switch for routing
    Vlan3 is our test domain
    Vlan4 is our Printers Vlan
    Vlan5 is our restricted guest wireless
    Vlan6 is our unrestricted guest wireless.

All switches have Vlan 1, 4,5 and 6 on them as the utility is required on all of them.

Only the incoming switch, and the intervening switches between it and the core have vlan2 (2 switches), along with all intervening switches between our office and the core (also 2 switches) so we can plug into their network in our office.

Only the core and intervening switches (2 switches) between there and our office have Vlan 3.

This is to do with the tagging on the interconnecting links/trunks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast