+ Post New Thread
Wired Networks Thread, Disconnected From the Network ! in Technical; Disconnected From the Network. I took my daughter back to uni and while I was in her private halls I ...
    Thank Post

Disconnected From the Network !

Disconnected From the Network.

I took my daughter back to uni and while I was in her private halls I had chance to check her 'Linux' laptop was working ok.
    Her halls are supplied by Emnet for the internet and the user policy says that only one computer shall be connected.
    I connected via Ethernet cable to the internet ok.
    Checked printer worked ok .
    Next checked the uni cloud.
    I booted up a virtual win7 computer (as it's a Linux laptop It will not connect to the uni cloud, that's why We have to use a Win7 virtual computer) , this is connected to the internet through a 'Bridged' connection, once on the desktop I clicked on the 'Cloud' that opens up the uni cloud which is also run on a Windows 2008 server and is another virtual computer for the cloud.

It connected to the cloud desktop ok, I logged out of the cloud.
    Next I said to my daughter while I was in Win7 virtual computer I would download itunes and install it for her so she could move photo's from her iphone to the laptop for storage, the download stopped at 30%, after waiting 30 minutes all I could do was to shut down the virtual computer.

I then found we had been disconnected from the internet by 'Emnet' and had to accept the user policy again and the it connected to the internet.

Do you think Emnet detected another Mac address of the virtual computers and believed we were trying to connect more than one computer ?.

I would think Emnet would be monitoring the 'Mac address' of the Ethernet card in the laptop, but would they see also the Mac address of the virtual computers ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bridged mode basically makes it look like the vm is on the network rather then NAT'ed which makes a private network that routes through the hardware network card so basically yeah, network bridging would potentially cause the network to see 2 mac addresses.

3. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

tickmike (24th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tickmike View Post
    Disconnected From the Network.

I took my daughter back to uni and while I was in her private halls I had chance to check her 'Linux' laptop was working ok.
    Her halls are supplied by Emnet for the internet and the user policy says that only one computer shall be connected.
    I connected via Ethernet cable to the internet ok.
    Checked printer worked ok .
    Next checked the uni cloud.
    I booted up a virtual win7 computer (as it's a Linux laptop It will not connect to the uni cloud, that's why We have to use a Win7 virtual computer) , this is connected to the internet through a 'Bridged' connection, once on the desktop I clicked on the 'Cloud' that opens up the uni cloud which is also run on a Windows 2008 server and is another virtual computer for the cloud.

It connected to the cloud desktop ok, I logged out of the cloud.
    Next I said to my daughter while I was in Win7 virtual computer I would download itunes and install it for her so she could move photo's from her iphone to the laptop for storage, the download stopped at 30%, after waiting 30 minutes all I could do was to shut down the virtual computer.

I then found we had been disconnected from the internet by 'Emnet' and had to accept the user policy again and the it connected to the internet.

Do you think Emnet detected another Mac address of the virtual computers and believed we were trying to connect more than one computer ?.

I would think Emnet would be monitoring the 'Mac address' of the Ethernet card in the laptop, but would they see also the Mac address of the virtual computers ?
    Thanks .
    At home I use a 'Smoothwall Box' so I have to be careful of 'Double Natting' that's why I used bridged in the VM and we have no problems connecting to the Uni cloud from home.
    So it looks like you say set the VM to NAT'ed while she is at the Uni halls and it should see only one Mac address.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread