+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wired Networks Thread, Firewalling Off a device? in Technical; Hi everyone. Does anyone know how to firewall off a device on a HP switch? We are having issues with ...
    Thank Post

Question Firewalling Off a device?

Hi everyone. Does anyone know how to firewall off a device on a HP switch? We are having issues with PaperCut (our print management solution) and one solution is to "consider firewalling off your sharp devices at a nearby switch so only print servers can access (hence avoiding exposure to other network traffic)"

I understand this completely but how to do this throguh the switches website is a whole new story. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I think I know the port being used for the photocopier and the IP address and password for the switch!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverentCreature View Post
    Hi everyone. Does anyone know how to firewall off a device on a HP switch? We are having issues with PaperCut (our print management solution) and one solution is to "consider firewalling off your sharp devices at a nearby switch so only print servers can access (hence avoiding exposure to other network traffic)"

I understand this completely but how to do this throguh the switches website is a whole new story. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I think I know the port being used for the photocopier and the IP address and password for the switch!
    I think they mean to place the printers onto a VLAN / subnet that only the print servers have access or can route to. That way, no client requests can be sent directly to the printer.

Exactly what problem are you trying to solve with these sharp devices (photocopiers?) and Papercut anyway?

Thank Post
    Hi Seawolf.

About once or twice a day at random times. Papercut firmware installed on the Sharp Photocopiers says "Unable to access Accounting Server". This issue affects two of our photocopiers that are the same make and model. The other Sharp model seems unaffected.

Papercut said to check that no other software was sharing the same port which I've done. DeviceLock was using it so I changed that to a different port but the problem has not gone away. Papercut then mentioned this article which was reported to have worked for a University in Washington State USA!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You would setup a separate VLAN for the devices and setup an access control list.

Thank Post
    Can I ask do you have a firewall on on your print server?

Is this just happening on 1 or 2 machines and is it the same each time? Could indicate weather a fault with said machine or software/server config.

Which model Sharp device is it?

The external application application settings for each each of the Sharp devices should look like this on the webpage:
    Under ‘Address for Application UI’, enter: http://:9191/device/sharp_osa3/ui/
    Under ‘Address for Web Service’, enter: http://:9191/device/sharp_osa3/soap?name=Sharp+Copier

On the web server where is says Sharp+Copier this will be unique to each machine, check the rest of the link is the same. Often just copy and pasting the links back on and a restart fixes these issues. If you can answer the above I can try and get to the bottom of it, I work in IT for a Sharp and PaperCut reseller so can point you in the right directions. Also which version of PaperCut are you on?

Thank Post
    Hi Matthew.

Thanks for your time. We have bene pulling our hair out with this. This issue seems to be just affecting this make and mdoel of photocopier about once or twice a day at random times. Papercut firmware installed on the Sharp Photocopiers says "Unable to access Accounting Server". These are MX-2310U photocopiers with PaperCut version Version: 13.1 (Build 21453). We have Symantec Endpoint protection 11 installed but the firewall is off from what I can see.

The addresses look okay except they say OSA instead of OSA3.

http://:9191/device/sharp_osa/ui/
    http://:9191/device/sharp_osa/soap?name=Hockney

http://:9191/device/sharp_osa/ui/
    http://:9191/device/sharp_osa/soap?name=NapierSuite
    Last edited by ReverentCreature; 24th February 2014 at 09:07 AM.

Thank Post
    Are you trying to stop users printing direct to the printer? if so cant you set ACL's on the printer so only allow from the print server?

Eric

Thank Post
    No I am trying to stop the photocopiers going offline randomly with the PaperCut error ""Unable to access Accounting Server". They never used to lose their connection with the server. The only solution is to turn the photocopiers off and then back on. Its very annoying for users.

I dont believe it to be a port or infrastructure issue based on troubleshooting that I have already done.

Thank Post
    PaperCut 14.0.26241 is now out so maybe worth upgrading to that version if you can.

If you can run a ping to the MFD in question does it ever loose any pings or is it constant?

There is new firmware for these machines dated 10/12/13 which is available via your service company which may fix the issue but I would recommend trying putting OSA3 instead of OSA and see if it makes any difference.

I am just waiting back on an email to confirm something.

Will come back to you on this one.

Thank Post
    The machine is defiantly a OSA3 machine so will need to put OSA3 in.

Get the firmware upgrade on your Sharp device, a number of issues have been fixed with these machines, you will need to speak to your supplier to do this more than likely.

What are you sleep settings like on these machines? Also do you have SNMP enabled on the device or have you turned this off?

Thank Post
    Hi Matthew,

When we did ping tests they were constant. No ping issues at all.
    I have arranged to do the Version 14 update with PaperCut and I have asked Sharp about upgrading to OSA3.
    I cant find the SNMP settings anywhere but I have found the Energy saving settings and they are set to:
    (checked) Auto Power Shutoff
    (checked) after job is finished enter auto power shutoff
    (checked) Auto Power Shutoff after 11mins

Thank Post
    The machine is already OSA3, change the path on the application setting to the one with OSA3 on.

These machines were riddled with firmware issues so a firmware upgrade would more than likely resolve it. The other thing is that the power shut off is too low causing it to drop in and out, I normally set the machines to 30/60 as per similar screen shot below:

PowerSettings.JPG

If you are still getting no where from me a PM.

Thank Post
    i would start off by upgrading to at least 13.5 (go to 14 if you are allowed) plus updating any firmware if possible
    See if that makes any difference. If not then...

1. Install wireshark and see what the copier is up to when it can not connect. The message is a very generic message but at heart it means it cant talk to papercut. Wireshark may help you see what it is trying to connect to etc. (tip - filter the traffic by the IP of the copier)
    2. Install papercut on a laptop and tell the Sharp to connect to this new install of papercut. Direct connect the laptop to the device using static IP's etc. Does it lose connection after a day being connected to another install of papercut?
    3. Get debug enabled under the options/advanced section and record any instances of the connection error and send papercut the logs with dates/times etc.

i would probably enable debug anyway.

Thank Post
    Thanks Matthew/ted.

I'll have a go of those and let you know how I get on.

Thank Post
    Any update to this?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast