+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wired Networks Thread, Slow network how to diagnose? in Technical; Seeing that you have HP and 3COM switches I would use HP's very good management and monitoring software IMC. You ...
    Thank Post
    Seeing that you have HP and 3COM switches I would use HP's very good management and monitoring software IMC. You can download a free 60 day trial and if you whack it on a VM it should only take 30 minutes or so to setup from scratch. It will show you the load of all your switches, draw you a pretty network diagram which can be helpful, show you any config problems and should help you identify any network slowness if that is the problem.

https://ssl.www8.hp.com/us/en/campai...istration.html

Cheers

2. Thanks to lmgtfy from:

tj2419 (3rd March 2014)

Thank Post
    Right some time has passed and made a little progress.

We have a RM CC4 network with 3 DC's with our users spread across the three servers. The only users being affected by this slow down are all stored on server 3. I have also noticed in the server log that in the security event log it is constantly having security audit success and audit failures all day and night! Requests like every few seconds.

What could be causing this?

The other thing i have noticed is there are hundred of errors for RM printer credits in the event logs. We don't use RM printer credits. Has anyone come across this before?

Any thoughts on whether this could be linked to the slow down?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by psydii View Post
    Quick check on the file servers.

Run rammap for sysinternals and post the result...

Also do you redirect AppData?
    We are on server 2003 so cannot run RAMMap. We're a RM CC4 network so not sure on AppData. Is there a quick way for me to check?

Cheers

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I cannot stress enough for the need to setup some kind of network monitoring software; aside from alerts and the peace of mind that comes from it, it'll help out immensely with troubleshooting. There is no need to spend money on this either as there are plenty of good, free alternatives. I'm using The Dude in my district and have every single network device and server across seven buildings setup in it with reporting on UPS units, core/edge switches and even temperature in data center. Included is a map of one of my smaller buildings. Traffic is logged and graphed between all switch links and has already aided me a couple of times in diagnosing issues with a few being broadcast storms. I get the occasional staff member that decides to bring a dumb switch into their classroom where they promptly introduce a switching loop causing a broadcast storm. Trying to find the source in a large building without a monitoring setup would be a lesson in futility. Just glancing at the map I was able to see what switch it was coming in off of, and opening the switches properties allowed me to see the exact port. This is just one time this has made my job a lot easier.

TheDudeSample.png

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke5A View Post
    I cannot stress enough for the need to setup some kind of network monitoring software; aside from alerts and the peace of mind that comes from it, it'll help out immensely with troubleshooting. There is no need to spend money on this either as there are plenty of good, free alternatives. I'm using The Dude in my district and have every single network device and server across seven buildings setup in it with reporting on UPS units, core/edge switches and even temperature in data center. Included is a map of one of my smaller buildings. Traffic is logged and graphed between all switch links and has already aided me a couple of times in diagnosing issues with a few being broadcast storms. I get the occasional staff member that decides to bring a dumb switch into their classroom where they promptly introduce a switching loop causing a broadcast storm. Trying to find the source in a large building without a monitoring setup would be a lesson in futility. Just glancing at the map I was able to see what switch it was coming in off of, and opening the switches properties allowed me to see the exact port. This is just one time this has made my job a lot easier.

TheDudeSample.png
    Yes i am looking into this now as we have always used RM Event Master but that notifies our LEA support and not us. Just got a lot of devices to drag around the screen on the dude to clean it up a bit :P

Would you say the Dude is the best free monitoring software available?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tj2419 View Post
    Yes i am looking into this now as we have always used RM Event Master but that notifies our LEA support and not us. Just got a lot of devices to drag around the screen on the dude to clean it up a bit :P

Would you say the Dude is the best free monitoring software available?
    That I've found yes, but The Dude doesn't look like it is being actively developed anymore. Mikrotik has been silent in the forums regarding it's development for a couple of years now. It still works though and I see no reason to look for a replacement.

8. Thanks to Duke5A from:

tj2419 (4th March 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12