+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Wired Networks Thread, Data Cabling - who does it themselves in Technical; I do all ours too, except fibre unless preterm is feasible - got quite a bit to do this half ...

Thank Post
    I do all ours too, except fibre unless preterm is feasible - got quite a bit to do this half term in fact.

Thank Post
    Does it have to be ZS0H if its a patch cable going from a network port in the room up some trunking and along the top of the ceiling tiles to a AP

Thank Post
    We do, least then we know it works and were it goes.

Thank Post
    If I'm running a cable from back of a patch panel along the wall and to terminate in a network socket. Would you use solid core or stranded cable?

Thank Post
    That would be the job for solid. Stranded is more for patch leads, and instances where the cable will get moved about a lot.

6. Thanks to Boredguy from:

MattDLEA (27th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanks @Boredguy that's what I though, just wanted to check as the sales guy on the phone said stranded

Thank Post
    Stranded is a whole lot easier with RJ45 crimping too.

Thank Post
    mmm data cabling I need some of this in my life we have a few projects coming up yay...

Thank Post
    Yeah I dont mind doing it, just some of the places that it needs to go to is difficult.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,867 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MattDLEA View Post
    Just looking for a bit of guidance on this.

Im thinking of offering data cabling as part of my services. But not sure if there is any legal or regulations that I need to be aware of.
    So just wondered if any of you guys or gals do your own cabling?
    Im OK with making patch cables, and pretty sure i could terminate ports.

Just every so oftern the schools want the classrooms moving round so computers move locations and the ports need moving, they get an external company in to do this who charge a fair wack.

So would I be able to just pull that cable from its origianal port and reterminate it at another point in the room.
    Also what about running another cable run from the server room to a classroom.

Is this doable as I am or would i need to get a certificate or something?
    We do minor runs only here - ie. odd little jobs here and there. Proper 'run new sockets' or 'move points' gets outsourced.

With the question about pulling a cable from its original port and reterminating it at a different point? I'd advise against it. Installed cables usually use solid CAT5e, so it 'sets' in place over time. Moving it can cause the internal wires to break.

Thank Post
    As many others have said, we do small runs and minor modifications, but we leave the big stuff, cabinet hangs and fibre to external contractors, mainly because it's easier and we don't really have time (or in the case of fibre, the gear.)

Thank Post
    I've got over 60 new runs to install all over the site this year as we replace our WiFi. Now that's going to be fun, I just can't decide if I will double up the cables ready for AC in the future.

Thank Post
    Worth getting a copy of the 17th edition onsite guide as it has a lot of useful info. Useful for planning installs and check ing sparkies work. My pet hate is seeing network cables shoved into trunking and with no separation barrier. Grrr.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by southhamster View Post
    Worth getting a copy of the 17th edition onsite guide as it has a lot of useful info. Useful for planning installs and check ing sparkies work. My pet hate is seeing network cables shoved into trunking and with no separation barrier. Grrr.
    Yup... I spat my dummy out a while ago, we had some guys come in to add an extension to the fire alarm (which is low voltage according to the regs) but the cable is capable of taking full mains, they just jumped between our data containment and surface clipped and the mains trunking. I ended up in a meeting with the boss of their company, our site manager, our site sparks literally jabbing my finger into the page about separating low and high voltage cables and explaining to them that I really didn't want 240v up my switches, PCs or users. They re-did loads of it and we haven't seen them since.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    Yup... I spat my dummy out a while ago, we had some guys come in to add an extension to the fire alarm (which is low voltage according to the regs) but the cable is capable of taking full mains, they just jumped between our data containment and surface clipped and the mains trunking. I ended up in a meeting with the boss of their company, our site manager, our site sparks literally jabbing my finger into the page about separating low and high voltage cables and explaining to them that I really didn't want 240v up my switches, PCs or users. They re-did loads of it and we haven't seen them since.
    I had that joy in the refurb found my data trunking full of fire cable and I got rather arsey over it as it had space left to allow it not to be squashed and also for our next phase... needless to say the LV/HV argument came up so I threw in that fire cable has a tone on it which I didn't think would be good in with data and to prove it held a tone tool to a call-point and the purring pulsing tone was heard. In the end they removed about 95% of it from containment as it came down to X said I could use it, but when X was asked they were no way I'd never say that etc... I had mentioned before talking to X that if they didn't remove it I was chopping it out of the containment I fitted which also helped move them quickly.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast