+ Post New Thread
Wired Networks Thread, I need a silent (or quiet) PoE switch in Technical; It seems our fussy science techs can't cope with the fan in our HP 2610-24-PWR, so I've been told to ...
    Thank Post

I need a silent (or quiet) PoE switch

It seems our fussy science techs can't cope with the fan in our HP 2610-24-PWR, so I've been told to replace it (at their cost mwuhahah)

I need an 8 port PoE switch, all gigabit ports, silent and managed (be it web or cli).

Ideally i'd like to stick to what i know with HP, but I'll take recommendations for anything if it's reliable

The only one I've looked at so far is this:
    HP ProCurve 2520G-8 PoE Switch

But I've no idea how noisy it is?

EDIT: Found a cheaper option in the HP 1910-8G-POE but again no idea if it has a fan/how noisy it is?
    Last edited by mrbios; 11th September 2013 at 11:22 AM.

Thank Post
    We've been using Netgear ProSafe GS110TP 8-Port POE switches for over a year now - no issues so far, it was pretty much install and forget. They run alongside our main Dell switches, again with no issues.

Thank Post
    We had a similar requirement not to long ago and after looking into it there wasn't much choice out there for a good small POE switch, We also found that when they say its 8 port POE not all ports can supply POE at the same time and you will probably find you can only run 3/4 ports at full power.

Dont go with the 1910 its not a patch on the 2610, i also seem to remember us turning down the 2520G-8 for some reason.

In the end we went for the Juniper EX2200-C its much more on par with your 2610. I think it cost around Ģ700.

EX2200 Ethernet Switches - Ethernet Solutions - Juniper Networks UK

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    It seems our fussy science techs can't cope with the fan in our HP 2610-24-PWR, so I've been told to replace it (at their cost mwuhahah)

I need an 8 port PoE switch, all gigabit ports, silent and managed (be it web or cli).

Ideally i'd like to stick to what i know with HP, but I'll take recommendations for anything if it's reliable

The only one I've looked at so far is this:
    HP ProCurve 2520G-8 PoE Switch

But I've no idea how noisy it is?

EDIT: Found a cheaper option in the HP 1910-8G-POE but again no idea if it has a fan/how noisy it is?
    We've got about 20 of the HP 2520-8G POE switches - I can confirm that they are silent - no fans

10 gigabit ports, 8 PoE, 2 non PoE dual personality ports.

I think the 1910 HP switches are rebadged 3Com switches, but don't quote me on that. We've avoided them to get proper HP ProCurves.
    Last edited by Chris_; 12th September 2013 at 10:43 PM.

5. Thanks to Chris_ from:

mrbios (13th September 2013)

Thank Post
    I use Netgearīs GS110TP (46 Watt Power Budget) and HPīs 2520G-8-PoE (67 Watt Power Budget) devices. (So itīs 3 versus 4 access points at full power, but doesnīt matter if you power something else) As budget is now a more important topic than years ago I currently usally use GS110TP for fanless installations.

1910-8G-POE does have fans. I once asked HPīs presales team as accroding the data sheet the non POE version has fans, the POE version doesnīt. Itīs a typo within their data sheet.
    Last edited by snoerre; 13th September 2013 at 08:46 AM.

7. Thanks to snoerre from:

mrbios (13th September 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information