+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wired Networks Thread, Cisco Small Business Switches in Technical; Not a problem at all using them for small, uncomplicated, unmanaged set ups. Reliable and cheap enough to replace if ...
    Thank Post
    Not a problem at all using them for small, uncomplicated, unmanaged set ups. Reliable and cheap enough to replace if they go bang outside of warranty.

Buy the best you can and at that price they are the best.

Gaz

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    I'm running 6 on site, 2 x 10MP, 2 x 10 and 2 x 28. They have been faultless, cheap, easy to configure and I've never found anything I wanted/needed to do that they couldn't do.

What this thread needs is people coming in saying "they dont do this...." or "they don't support that..." or "I've used them for 12 months and 50% have failed..." but all we hear is "I wouldn't touch these with a barge pole". Why not?

After a string of IT "consultants" who have come into our establishment peddling what is in their interest to peddle, not in ours to buy, I'm deeply suspicious of recommendations and opinions without facts to back them up.
    I suspect those people have no hands on experience of the products and are just bad mouthing based on the Linksys name which was ditched ages ago from Cisco's lineup.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    My only experience with these was with an SG200-08, but it was not good.

Every few weeks it would completely drop the gigabit uplink to the router on the floor below and require a cold reset before it would start working again. This was especially irritating as it was at a remote site. Support just blamed the cabling, and I wasn't about to buy another one out of pocket to prove them wrong. Now, I can't say for certain that the ~25m of Cat5e we are using for the uplink is perfect, but my Fluke meter says it's fine, and I've since replaced the Cisco with an equivalent Netgear(!) and haven't had a problem since with the same cable.

Would not buy again.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    I'm running 6 on site, 2 x 10MP, 2 x 10 and 2 x 28. They have been faultless, cheap, easy to configure and I've never found anything I wanted/needed to do that they couldn't do.

What this thread needs is people coming in saying "they dont do this...." or "they don't support that..." or "I've used them for 12 months and 50% have failed..." but all we hear is "I wouldn't touch these with a barge pole". Why not?

After a string of IT "consultants" who have come into our establishment peddling what is in their interest to peddle, not in ours to buy, I'm deeply suspicious of recommendations and opinions without facts to back them up.
    Exactly, A school down the road from us has just kitted themselves out with these and are singing their praises.. the HP Core switch alternative 5412ZL populated with all modules comes in at 17k.. 11k more than 5 cisco switches which is pretty much a new computer suite. Not sure I can justify that cost..

Thank Post
    I've got 3 SF300's on site and they've done ok for the last couple of years, the ESW540 I brought to connect our server's to isn't as reliable unfortunatly, once it stopped passing traffic all togeather until rebooted and other times after reboots it loses its config... not fun when it defaults to locking down ports with more than 1 mac(defaults to desktop profile).

I'd buy small business for access switches but possibly not for the core again

Gaz

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamman960
    the ESW540 I brought to connect our server's to isn't as reliable unfortunatly, once it stopped passing traffic all togeather until rebooted and other times after reboots it loses its config... not fun when it defaults to locking down ports with more than 1 mac(defaults to desktop profile).
    Perhaps that would be resolved with a firmware update. I know the Sx300 series had an issue where they would require a reboot every 50 days prior to a firmware update.

I've currently got x1 SG300-52 and I'm about to buy x1 SG500-52 and x1 SG500-28 to replace some failing Allied Telesis switches.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    replace some failing Allied Telesis switches.
    I though all the AT stuff come out of the factory broken had to pull a few of them in various places.

Worst ever experience was an old "Planet" switch that used to be our core 12 years ago. That locked up regularly. Replaced it with a D-Link DES6000 Chassis which lasted 7-8 years in service.

Rob

Gaz

Thank Post
    You could well be right. We got them second hand and they've been in service for 6 years and its only in the last year that they've been failing so its not too bad but they are also 10/100 so that is reason alone to replace them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    D-Link DES6000 Chassis which lasted 7-8 years in service.
    Ours must have done even more than that, only replaced it last year with a 5406zl. What a solid piece of kit it was, just got too old and massively over-capacity in the end. Still works now.

We have a large number of SG300-10MPs here as PoE injectors. They were very nice to set up and work on, and seem very solid little switches on the back of a Procurve network.

Gaz

Thank Post
    HP doesn't half get raved about on Edugeek, what is a comparable HP model to say a SG300/500 series Cisco?

Thank Post
    Probably the V1900 series at a guess (rebranded 3Com, not bad stuff).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12