+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wired Networks Thread, Vlan basics in Technical; Hi Everyone, so it's come to the point where we need V-lans. i understand the concept (hence knowing it's time ...

Thank Post

Vlan basics

Hi Everyone,

so it's come to the point where we need V-lans.

i understand the concept (hence knowing it's time to implement them) but am not really sure what to do for the best,

as we have over 500 devices and only 12 cab locations i was thinking of segregating the network in two ways.

1. by cab location
    2. Or Device location I.e It Suite etc

if i go for option 1 would i just need to put all ports into say vlan 2 and leave the uplinks on the default vlan 1 ? so other traffic can pass ?

so my setup would look something like

Cab 1 - All ports vlan 2 uplink(s) vlan 1
    Cab 2 - All ports vlan 3 uplink(s) vlan 1
    Cab 3 - All ports vlan 4 uplink(S) vlan 1

Or option 2 would be cab 1 switch 1, ports 1-20 vlan 2 uplink vlan 1 ports 21-47 vlan 4 etc

any help ideas, or best practice much appreciated as always,

Thank Post
    The way we do it is:

Servers
    Printers
    Wireless (8 vlans)
    Boilers
    TVs
    VoIP phones
    Admin PCs
    accounts PCs
    ICT tech PCs
    Catering Tills
    Curriculum PCs (separate vlan per building, 10 buildings)
    Internet router

3. Thanks to ass17 from:

richbrowncardiff (6th September 2013)

Thank Post
    What are you going to route the vlans with?

Thank Post
    Thanks for your response guys. i was going to ask that question DMcCoy. Not sure what would be best the switches support l3 routing so can i use that or would i be better investing in a separate router ?

Thank Post
    so it's come to the point where we need V-lans.
    Why?

Not sure what would be best the switches support l3 routing so can i use that or would i be better investing in a separate router
    Stick with a good L3 Switch, as effectivly it is a router with multiple ports. Unlike a router which ususaly has limited port capacity which can become a problem.

Rob

Thank Post
    As we already use Sonicwalls at our border gateway we use this to provide DHCP and inter VLAN routing, on many of our smaller sites its just easier to manage.
    On bigger LANs the L3 switch is obviously the better option.
    Using a simple router between port based VLANs is a good way to start and learn but L3 switches have far more throughput capability and cope with many VLANs easily.

Thank Post
    Hi all thanks for your input. we need to implement the vlans as the broadcast traffic is quite high and the performance is starting to drop slightly i want to regain the performance (and all being well improve it) by implementing vlans i feel this would be the best way forward as we have good switches which like many we currently only use a fraction of the functionality available (Stacking, RSTP & Qos) am planning on using the l3 routing on the switches.

cheers

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ass17 View Post
    The way we do it is:
    Admin PCs
    accounts PCs
    ICT tech PCs
    Why do you make a separate vlan for each of these? There's no real security benefit behind it considering everything can be secured at a file and authentication level so why would you need to add these to separate vlans from their local areas?

Genuine question by the way, I'm not trying to sound argumentative.....though i can't help but see this as a mostly pointless exercise that it seems many here partake in, some even taking it to another level by splitting teacher and student machines vlans. I'm more interested in being convinced otherwise than trying to convince others that they're wrong in doing so though, but i remain very skeptical

Thank Post
    Hi MrBios ! well personally i agree it comes down to need & choice. I want to segregate areas of the LAN to improve performance primarily the security benefit comes in as an additional definitive layer by giving the ability to effectively "hide" different devices / sections of the network from each other you are ensuring a more complete security structure throughout the Lan but by doing so your obviously adding an additional layer of management and complexity (depending on how its setup and also what the documentation includes) i have worked in a school with over 100 vlans. (in my view uber excessive) wherby admin printers were egregated from student printers!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by richbrowncardiff View Post
    i have worked in a school with over 100 vlans. (in my view uber excessive) wherby admin printers were egregated from student printers!
    rediculous rather than excessive.

we only have about 8 major vlans ( if that )

what is you switch processor load, the droped packets, crc, runts , etc.

appart from boot dhcp, what are the sources of the broadcasts?

Rob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by richbrowncardiff View Post
    Hi MrBios ! well personally i agree it comes down to need & choice. I want to segregate areas of the LAN to improve performance primarily the security benefit comes in as an additional definitive layer by giving the ability to effectively "hide" different devices / sections of the network from each other you are ensuring a more complete security structure throughout the Lan but by doing so your obviously adding an additional layer of management and complexity (depending on how its setup and also what the documentation includes) i have worked in a school with over 100 vlans. (in my view uber excessive) wherby admin printers were egregated from student printers!
    I can understand the desire to hide a device from another device, if that device held anything of importance on it, but are your users in accounts really storing sensitive data on their client PCs anyway? Probably not, because most of the time we have network storage, things like FMS have everything stored in a database, that database requires authentication and is also held in a server, those servers are on a separate vlan....you see what I'm getting at right?

End of the day i think my real question is what are you actually trying to protect? I can obviously only speak for myself here but the only sensitive data on my network is either A. in teacher shares/home folders or B. in SIMs/FMS both of which are secured from prying eyes with share security, file level security, database authentication etc. Those sensitive items are only visible to a client PC once a user has logged on, nothing sensitive is on the machines themselves. So where's the security benefit?

The benefits to limiting broadcast traffic from PCs isn't going to be anywhere near as great as the benefit to limiting service broadcast traffic such as printers, tv systems, apple devices etc, so again from a performance standpoint i'd still argue that the additional management complexity isn't worth the effort. Especially when talking about admin/finance/office PCs we're taking 10s of PCs not 100s.
    Last edited by mrbios; 10th September 2013 at 11:15 PM.

Thank Post
    We probably have 50 vlans on just one of our switches.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apeman View Post
    We probably have 50 vlans on just one of our switches.
    why? is this a core for a multi site?

TT

Thank Post
    Close, its one of the core switches for just one site but we are doing layer 3 to the edge via OSPF so each uplink has its own vlan.

Our edge switches probably have between 12 to 16 vlans (Data,Voice,CCTV,IPTV,Printers,Cashless Vending,Wifi,Guest Data, Guest Wifi,Management, Plus 2 to 8 uplinks)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We did it by cab with /24 VLANs when we did it 18 months ago, so (for example) MFL is all on one VLAN because it comes out of one cabinet in that block, same with English, Humanities... the only exceptions are major IT rooms, which tend to have a switch in situ for a single room so they're on /25 ranges, and printers which are on their own VLAN across the site - random ports here and there on every switch, with different colour patch cables for them.

We route at the furthest point - i.e. if a cab has stacked level 3 switches that service an entire VLAN, route there. If a VLAN spans multiple non-stacked switches then it has to be routed at the core (e.g. printers, some cabs with older switches). Saves on traffic on the backbone.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast