+ Post New Thread
Wired Networks Thread, How to setup Vlan over a Wirelessly extended network in Technical; Ok my situation is this, we are setting up a wireless extension of our network through radio's and We can ...

Thank Post

Unhappy How to setup Vlan over a Wirelessly extended network

Ok my situation is this, we are setting up a wireless extension of our network through radio's and We can extend our 1.1 network over to the new location and that will give us data for our computers, but the confusion comes here.

we have a phone system that is on our 2.1 network at the base and I wanted to know how could I possibly set up a vlan over the radio link for the phone system when I can't physically plug a ethernet cable into the tagged port since I will already have the radio plugged into the 1.1 network port. How do I get the phone traffic over to the other location also?

I know I may not be making this clear, but I just need to know can we route from our switch at the base and be able to extend the phone network with the data network. The radio links are just a wireless ethernet cable they will transport the ip address coming off our main switch and send it over to the new building in the new switch, can we still use our phones as if we are still on the base network switch?

I'm including a mini Diagram to give you some type of idea of how the radio links will work
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    Basically you need to set up the APs in bridge mode (at least that's what its called on our MikroTik wireless extension). In this mode it works how you describe - a pipe that you can push VLANs over just like a wire. You then have those plugged into trunk ports on each switch and configure the VLANs on the switches as per normal.

How exactly you do that will depend on the AP. What make/model are they?
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 21st August 2013 at 10:48 AM.

Thank Post
    airFiber | Ubiquiti Networks, Inc.

That is the link uptop to what type of radio's we will be using. We have the option to use Mikrotik router's also which I know routes can be setup through the Mikrotik. I do not know how to set up trunk ports. The switch labeled in the picture will be what we are using to push the data our to the radio's. I was also thinking about bridging the Data and voice ports together with the port that will push out information to the radio. would that be feasable?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread