+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wired Networks Thread, Second hand procurve.. can't factory reset in Technical; Originally Posted by plexer Because it's a 2nd hand switch the procurve limited lifetime warranty applies to first owner only. ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Because it's a 2nd hand switch the procurve limited lifetime warranty applies to first owner only.

Ben
    Yes but when have you ever been asked for proof of purchase??
    I must of reported 30 switches or parts non of them registered to anyone and i have never been asked for proof (We were the first owner of all the switches so it wouldn't of been an issue if they had)
    If they do ask for proof just say you can't find it and they will just close the case.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dgsmith View Post
    Tried both, neither seem to be doing the trick.

Well the buttons are physically broken it seems (pushed in) though I am always wary of opening up switches that otherwise are working ok I'm not sure how i'd report it though as the fault would seem more a case of config than anything else, and the buttons are user damage.

I'm pretty sure I am doing everything right on the console.. hyperterminal says connected at the bottom but I don't know if this is a misnomer seeing as there is just a flashing curser without any of the procurve intro stuff and nothing can be typed in.. most odd..
    You do know HP Procurve Support isnt just for hardware?? they will assist with config and software issues for free as well.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 1,416 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by apeman View Post
    Yes but when have you ever been asked for proof of purchase??
    I must of reported 30 switches or parts non of them registered to anyone and i have never been asked for proof (We were the first owner of all the switches so it wouldn't of been an issue if they had)
    If they do ask for proof just say you can't find it and they will just close the case.
    Erm anytime I've had anything replaced under warranty actually.

Ben

Thank Post
    wow i must of been very lucky. Were all the switches you reported genuine procurves?? as i know they ask for the proof with the rebanded stuff

Back in the days of the 4000m switches we were even sent a load of fan trays cause we reported one as faulty, they asked if we had anymore of this model and cause they were about the same age they just sent us a load of fan trays no questions asked.

Thank Post
    Had this recently with a HP switch. Had to restart the switch with the console already connected then after the switch had booted pressed space bar then enter alternately until it burst into life through putty.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I'd say your best bet would be to open the switch and try and fix the reset button. You should be good to start from scratch once you've achieved this It just looks like a motherboard inside, nothing interesting.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by coop1984 View Post
    Had this recently with a HP switch. Had to restart the switch with the console already connected then after the switch had booted pressed space bar then enter alternately until it burst into life through putty.
    Tried this, nothing.. I gave it enough time too and enough key mashing to know it wasn't going to play ball..

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I'd say your best bet would be to open the switch and try and fix the reset button. You should be good to start from scratch once you've achieved this It just looks like a motherboard inside, nothing interesting.
    Whilst that would be the long-winded way of rrsetting the switch (and not one i'd be entirely happy with), it unfortunately doesn't explain why the console should be unresponsive. It's possible this may resolve upon a reset but I didn't think the console could "die" in this manner.

Trying to get it swapped under warranty seems like a wishful-thinking scenario though, despite claims above that little to no proof of purchase/error is necessary..

Thank Post
    Can you turn it off and unplug it for 5 minutes then call back if it still doesnt work?

Thank Post
    I've been a bit cheeky with HP before, along the lines of

"You're HP, this switch is from HP, Sort it out..."

Which has always solved the problem one way or another. The problem has always been fixed either by software with help from their technicians, or by them sending out spare parts. I've never had to send a whole switch back.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12