+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wired Networks Thread, Help Upgrading Network Backbone in Technical; We're all HP here too, mainly 2610s and the like to the desktop. That does sound like a good idea. ...

Thank Post
    We're all HP here too, mainly 2610s and the like to the desktop. That does sound like a good idea.

The core design of the network here was to utilise both uplink ports; combined with other structures thus creating at least a 2GB trunk around the site. We also have several chained 24-port switches in a single cabinet as opposed to fewer 48-port models, using each other's uplink ports respectively. There were reasons for that which I'm not privy to as I wasn't the NM at the time and all the County engineers involved at the time were "disposed of" with the loss of the Harnessing Technologies grant.

But I like the idea - something to consider if we ever do manage to expand our switching capacity!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephelyon View Post
    We're all HP here too, mainly 2610s and the like to the desktop. That does sound like a good idea.

The core design of the network here was to utilise both uplink ports; combined with other structures thus creating at least a 2GB trunk around the site. We also have several chained 24-port switches in a single cabinet as opposed to fewer 48-port models, using each other's uplink ports respectively. There were reasons for that which I'm not privy to as I wasn't the NM at the time and all the County engineers involved at the time were "disposed of" with the loss of the Harnessing Technologies grant.

But I like the idea - something to consider if we ever do manage to expand our switching capacity!
    From my core switch each other building is connected by fiber, that fiber goes into a HP 1800-24G (or 6108 but mostly 1800s now), every other switch then connects off that, even if it's just 3 other switches. Gives you a lot of room for expansion without worrying about cascading loads and loads of switches in sequence, and in our case anyway it means we can just patch a port into it or run a new cable if we wanted to put an AP in at 1GB somewhere further away

Makes my life easier with tagging vlans seeing as i've got 22 of the buggers now.

Thank Post
    We have two fully loaded 5406zl's with 2920-24 at the edge, cost us about 25k...

What we have found is that our wifi network has become 1st priority over 400 Desktops. Our 95 APs are connected to all 2920 switches and the desktops are uplinked via an older HP switch to the 2920's....

Thank Post
    It seems there is a difference of scale (and budgets!) here; we have some areas connected by fibre, others are simply through copper. I've been happy with maintaining at least a 2-Gig link across the site though.

Either way I think the core wired infrastructure will become more and more of an issue the more we lean towards global wireless.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    Keep 100mb to the desktop, regardless of what people might say against me on this, you don't need 1GB to the desktop. If you gave them gigabit to the desktop you'd be looking at 10GB backbone, which for your size school you don't need unless you foresee some huge increase in machines + users in the coming years. Plan for 10GB by buying things that support it, but don't bother with it, that way support for it is there if and when you need it.

Don't get cisco switches unless you have some experience or training in them, HP are simpler to manage, make sure you get managed switches not unmanaged ones as ideally you'll want to start using vlans to limit your broadcast traffic eventually. Oh and don't look at netgear etc and think "but they're cheaper they'll do" they're cheaper for a reason!

1GB backbone with a trunk to more saturated areas will be more than sufficient for most areas. Ideally a trunk to the servers as well, are you virtualised at all?

My method to this is this:
    Desktops - in this case 100mb
    Switch to switch connectivity - 1GB to end user 48 port switches or trunks to 8 - 16 port distribution switches
    Switch to server connectivity - ideally more than 1GB though it depends on the servers role. If you're virtualised then definitely 2.

HP 2510-48 are good 48 port end user switches

What core switch do you have at the moment?
    No one will ever need more than 640k of memory...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    No one will ever need more than 640k of memory...
    haha, would you be happier if i put the word "yet" on the end of my original sentence?

but like i said, plan for 10GB so all you have to do in the future is add the odd modules etc to supported switches, maybe buy 48G switches and throttle them to only provide up to 100mb per port (more expensive in the short term but MAY pay off in the long run if you find you need it down the line). Certainly don't enable 1GB to desktop if you only have a 1GB backbone (unless you can start trunking 3-4 ports together everywhere) Sound more reasonable to you?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    haha, would you be happier if i put the word "yet" on the end of my original sentence?

but like i said, plan for 10GB so all you have to do in the future is add the odd modules etc to supported switches, maybe buy 48G switches and throttle them to only provide up to 100mb per port (more expensive in the short term but MAY pay off in the long run if you find you need it down the line). Certainly don't enable 1GB to desktop if you only have a 1GB backbone (unless you can start trunking 3-4 ports together everywhere) Sound more reasonable to you?
    Much more so, we generally trunk at least a couple of gig links back with gig to the edge and while not strictly necessary it cuts tens of seconds off logon, tens of minutes off imaging + software installs and allows messing with stuff like gigabyte plus video files without having to copy them locally. Like you though, facility for 10gb but not implemented yet due cost but we are not stuck if we need to chuck it in later.

Thank Post
    I've posted the same before but as my German colleagues would say "what for I need CLI?" I've done everything I've needed to do using the web-based interface of the Cisco. They're economic to buy and have just run flawlessly. It is horses for courses but what do you exactly need CLI for, that I can't do intuitively through the web browser? Incidentally I have a friend who was (still is) a whizz with DOS. He once announced "Windows will never catch on". What he meant of course was that he hoped windows would never catch on as we wouldn't need his services any more. It did, we don't. I get this same sort of deja-vu with the CLI.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    I've posted the same before but as my German colleagues would say "what for I need CLI?" I've done everything I've needed to do using the web-based interface of the Cisco. They're economic to buy and have just run flawlessly. It is horses for courses but what do you exactly need CLI for, that I can't do intuitively through the web browser? Incidentally I have a friend who was (still is) a whizz with DOS. He once announced "Windows will never catch on". What he meant of course was that he hoped windows would never catch on as we wouldn't need his services any more. It did, we don't. I get this same sort of deja-vu with the CLI.
    It all depends on what level you are using the switches to, try making a decent routing and spanning tree config with 802.11x and maybe a bit of diagnostic config in a reasonable time period. I have to agree about the rebranded Linksys, they are toys in comparison to the more advanced switching.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12