+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25
Wired Networks Thread, Lan Extension: VLAN or Single Subnet HELP>> in Technical; At risk of resurrecting a dormant thread, it seems to me the contractors have extended a LAN for you as ...
  1. #16

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    119
    Thank Post
    46
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    5
    At risk of resurrecting a dormant thread, it seems to me the contractors have extended a LAN for you as requested, as long as the kit they have used is vlan-aware and preserves vlan tags and untagged packets as is, which I am sure they will have. If not they have not delivered.

    So you have a single RJ-45 at each end. Now you have to put a bit of kit there, why should they be responsible for that?

    What if you had 17 vlans, would you want 17 RJ-45s at each end?

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    83
    Thank Post
    31
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    At risk of resurrecting a dormant thread, it seems to me the contractors have extended a LAN for you as requested, as long as the kit they have used is vlan-aware and preserves vlan tags and untagged packets as is, which I am sure they will have. If not they have not delivered.

    So you have a single RJ-45 at each end. Now you have to put a bit of kit there, why should they be responsible for that?

    ummm, because that's what they promised!

    What if you had 17 vlans, would you want 17 RJ-45s at each end?
    umm because that's what was promised!

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    119
    Thank Post
    46
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by EN4CER View Post
    umm because that's what was promised!
    Then they would appear to be in breach of contract with a number of remedies available to you. You haven't settled the invoice yet presumably?

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    83
    Thank Post
    31
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Then they would appear to be in breach of contract with a number of remedies available to you. You haven't settled the invoice yet presumably?
    Thanks, no we haven't. They will be installing kit either end with two rj45s,so it should be plug in and go, as originally billed!

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    119
    Thank Post
    46
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by EN4CER View Post
    Thanks, no we haven't. They will be installing kit either end with two rj45s,so it should be plug in and go, as originally billed!
    Right, and to your original question, (and I assume you mean your admin and curriculum networks are on two different vlans) I'd stick with that, why drop back to one? If you need crossover you can do that via static routes in a cheap router. The vlan configuration should be fairly straightforward.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    83
    Thank Post
    31
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Right, and to your original question, (and I assume you mean your admin and curriculum networks are on two different vlans) I'd stick with that, why drop back to one? If you need crossover you can do that via static routes in a cheap router. The vlan configuration should be fairly straightforward.
    My thoughts exactly. I shouldn't need to do anything with the vlan setup, as they should recreate the existing vlans when they install the new kit!

  7. #22

    seawolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    969
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 285 Times in 217 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    175
    I think you may be confused about the difference between subnets and VLANs. Anyhow, you only need 1 LAN to have two VLANs. We have one LAN and 30 VLANs. It sounds as if you wanted two fibre cables (I assume fibre, maybe a Microwave link?) run to the other site for two separate networks. That would be more expensive than running one cable and using a switch on the other end to handle the VLANs, except I don't think you have VLANs, but actual two separate networks, therefore your problem.

    If the contract said they would run two links then you shouldn't pay until you get two links. Although, I'm still a bit confused with the way your talking about VLANs, so maybe I'm misunderstanding.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    119
    Thank Post
    46
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    I think you may be confused about the difference between subnets and VLANs. Anyhow, you only need 1 LAN to have two VLANs. We have one LAN and 30 VLANs. It sounds as if you wanted two fibre cables (I assume fibre, maybe a Microwave link?) run to the other site for two separate networks. That would be more expensive than running one cable and using a switch on the other end to handle the VLANs, except I don't think you have VLANs, but actual two separate networks, therefore your problem.

    If the contract said they would run two links then you shouldn't pay until you get two links. Although, I'm still a bit confused with the way your talking about VLANs, so maybe I'm misunderstanding.
    Ah yes, I had the same problem until I realised it was the same thing, 2 LANs or 2 Vlans over 1 LAN, same thing!

    At the near end if there is one RJ45 then presumably this connects to a vlan-aware device such as a switch with a trunk carrying one tagged and one untagged or both tagged. Then it doesn't matter what is connected into other ports of this switch, two access ports on separate LANs or one trunk port carrying 2 vlans. See what I mean?
    Last edited by catch21; 31st July 2013 at 10:33 AM.

  9. #24

    seawolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    969
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 285 Times in 217 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Ah yes, I had the same problem until I realised it was the same thing, 2 LANs or 2 Vlans over 1 LAN, same thing!

    At the near end if there is one RJ45 then presumably this connects to a vlan-aware device such as a switch with a trunk carrying one tagged and one untagged or both tagged. Then it doesn't matter what is connected into other ports of this switch, two access ports on separate LANs or one trunk port carrying 2 vlans. See what I mean?
    What I meant was that it sounded like the assumption is that VLAN = Physical LAN, which it does not (therefore the VIRTUAL in VLAN). I think this has caused the problems with the supplier for the "LAN extension". They assumed VLANs meant VLANs and not two physical LANs. The customer and the vendor weren't speaking the same language.

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    119
    Thank Post
    46
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    5
    You're right, there's a strange use of terms in the original post. I think we can see what the OP was getting at. Maybe the OP will update the thread as discussions with the installer and the installation progress.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Wake on LAN across VLANs/subnets - 3Com Layer-3 Switch 5500
    By SSTechIII in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 28th April 2008, 09:09 PM
  2. VLANs/ Subnets help
    By Ste_Harve in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 25th June 2007, 12:42 PM
  3. Mulitple or single SSIDs
    By SimpleSi in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11th February 2007, 12:51 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12th January 2007, 09:26 PM
  5. SIS 900 LAN and Group Policy = BAD COMBO! Help!
    By CM786 in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 6th August 2006, 07:20 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •