+ Post New Thread
Wired Networks Thread, Vlan mobility advice in Technical; At my schools the generic network is vlan 1, servers and managment vlan 20 and wireless vlan 100. right now ...

Thank Post

Vlan mobility advice

At my schools the generic network is vlan 1, servers and managment vlan 20 and wireless vlan 100. right now they are static vlans. We are a 100% hp procurve shop. 5406 core, 3500ly edge

I could use some advice on "laptop mobile lab carts". we purchased 8 and they have our ap installed in them. so a teacher can check one out, take it to class plug in the carts network jack and power, off they go.

so inorder for the ap in the cart to get vlan 100, i either tag all ports on all switches in vlan 100 or use gvrp (read this is a possible nightmare) or other (not sure of any other option). i don't see an issue with tagging everything vlan 100, destops will continue to operate on vlan 1 and ignore the tagged traffic. But does anyone have any other suggestion?

Thanks!

Thank Post
    Tagging VLANs is the way we do it. We have about 20 VLANs. But we don't use default VLAN out of choice.

Thank Post
    GVRP should do what you want but the ap has to actively participate in the GVRP process.

We use GVRP across all our access switches and it makes it very easy to move links around. Sadly the downside is you have to be very careful when enabling as without planning it can easily mess up a lot of stuff! iSCSI, Jumbo Frames etc...

Another alternative is to use an access port that can tunnel wireless data back to a controller. That way it doesn't matter what vlan the ap connects on, it will just forward the traffic to the controller for vlan assignment and forwarding onto the network.

Thank Post
    We have just installed a new ruckus wifi network, so are you saying not to tag any vlans to do with ruckus and SSIDs and to just assign the VLAN on the SSID within the controller software, even if the SSIDs are on different subnets?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread