+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Wired Networks Thread, Building to Building Link in Technical; I think you have predicted the future there! Will look forward to that!...

Thank Post
    I think you have predicted the future there! Will look forward to that!

Thank Post
    Pre-terminated fiber often comes with a sock/tube & eye attached for pulling through ducts/walls etc so that the connectors and cores are protected during installation and to make it easier to pull in, had to pull ours through several exterior walls last summer - couldn't have done it without the tube on the end

pictured here - http://www.excel-networking.com/cata...nd-singlemode/
    Last edited by Jamman960; 21st June 2013 at 11:52 AM.

3. Thanks to Jamman960 from:

beany1 (21st June 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    The pulling sock will hold and you can rag on that without problems as its usually got the Kevlar from the cable attached to it and heat-shrunk onto the cable so its a bugger to get off needing a VERY sharp knife and / or Kevlar snips just watch as it vanishes into the ground it doesn't jump from the drunk and kink at that point

As for the comment about 10 gig going into the rear, my Juniper ones went into the front and the 10G and 1G modules were interchangeable in the card that took them just a few more 0's on the 10 over the 1

5. Thanks to john from:

beany1 (21st June 2013)

Thank Post
    Apparently I am far too trusting of our site manager. The "tunnel" to the other building, does not come up in the room where I was told, in fact it comes out of the ground about half way from building to building and then the fiber is "stapled" to the fascia board around the outside of the building. (The hole in the ground in the room with wires coming out - he has no idea what that is)

Doesn't seem ideal to me, do people think this is ok? This was a professional company who installed this a far few years back. Obviously don't have the budget to be digging up paths.
    So, option 1: replace fiber with new fiber and follow the same approach of attaching to fascia and then underground.
    Option 2: follow fascia board, but put in some kind of trunking/UPVC pipe that encases the new fiber?

What are peoples thoughts? Any other ideas?

Thank Post
    How far is the gap? Could you get a suitable height and do a steel tension wire to cable tie to?

Thank Post
    Think i'd be in the bad books for that, its right across our main entrance so sadly that's not an option!

Thank Post
    I'd be tempted to do some research with the hole in the ground with wires... see if you can find out where the wires run to in the building they come out in - if it's an electrical DB then it should state what feeds it and you may be able to find a route back. May be worth trying that before putting fibre in what sounds like a high traffic area and not fully encased.

Thank Post
    Uh, just went to do some investigative photography and have discovered its the inlet for our old BT fiber internet connection - so it doesn't go near the other building.

Am I correct in assuming that fixing the fiber cable directly to the fascia board outside of the building is bad? The cable is hidden well so it doesn't impact the aesthetics of the building and it's out of the reach of children and adults.

Thank Post
    If you get outdoor fibre it would be ok, I had fibre up on a catinery and around the roof line of a building before it went underground. Just ensure its well protected from where it comes out of the ground to the roof height, we had ours put in armour ducting and then used armored fibre just to be very safe as if determined it will slow any vandals down.

Thank Post
    Cheers, so is the normal pre-terminated fiber not outdoor? such as:
    Custom Multimode Preterminated Fibre Cable
    Can you suggest a supplier?

Thank Post
    Could run it in steel conduit from were it comes out of the ground and paint it same colour as building.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by beany1 View Post
    Cheers, so is the normal pre-terminated fiber not outdoor? such as:
    Custom Multimode Preterminated Fibre Cable
    Can you suggest a supplier?
    That is internal / external fibre

Thank Post
    Round the building tacked on it is! There's only one part that would be really exposed so a bit of steel conduit to cover that. Cheers everyone.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information