+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wired Networks Thread, How To calculate for Bulk CAT6 purchase. in Technical; Hello All, We are adding to our infrastructure this summer and I need to purchase bulk CAT6. Has anyone found ...

Thank Post

How To calculate for Bulk CAT6 purchase.

Hello All,

We are adding to our infrastructure this summer and I need to purchase bulk CAT6.
    Has anyone found or used some type of data run calculator / formula to get an estimate of how much cable should be purchased.

I will be measuring the outside parameters of the building and thought I would be able to calculate my runs from there.

Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Blog Entries
    length of distance between each room required +5m slack, per run.

Anything over 100m I recommend running fibre to another comms cab in the area you are trying to run too.

10x 30m runs (with additional 5m per run) comes in at 350m. You'd need 4 boxes of 305ft cable to be able to do the runs.
    Last edited by nephilim; 3rd June 2013 at 05:59 PM.

3. Thanks to nephilim from:

maalox (3rd June 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    length of distance between each room required +5m slack, per run.

Anything over 100m I recommend running fibre to another comms cab in the area you are trying to run too.

10x 30m runs (with additional 5m per run) comes in at 350m. You'd need 4 boxes of 305ft cable to be able to do the runs.

I will give that a shot. Thank you for your help.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,496 Times in 1,342 Posts
    You're doing this yourself?

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    You're doing this yourself?

Ben
    We will have a few student helpers over the summer probably 4

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Blog Entries
    add 10m per run to factor in mistakes made on terminating the cables along with runs not being as short as you thought.

Thank Post
    I've got 2new it suites that I've got to wire up over the summer. Most of it will be done by me with very little help.

Thank Post
    buy boxes in pairs - if you need 5 boxes - buy 6, running two cables from 2 boxes at the same time is easier and quicker than 2 from one box. Also if the cable doesn't have the meter markers on the side (showing what's left usually) write on the box how much you used so far.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    Agree on the two box trick much easier to do that even if you only (for some strange reason) need a single point you can pull a bit more on the other to the next one

As for sizing quick room measure and then work backwards I only ever work in full meters always rounding up usually taking 1M off each set of points the closer it gets to the cab / add 1 on for the further away when working within the room as I have usually established a distance for the cab to room entry point Never been too far out either or had a disaster

Thank Post
    I saw my installers (I don't recommend doing yourself) use 6 boxes at once.. cool. They also left the spare boxes behind.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    I saw my installers (I don't recommend doing yourself) use 6 boxes at once.. cool. They also left the spare boxes behind.
    Can beat that 24 was run by a firm I know the other year was impressive to watch they pulled 24 through this corridor and then split it into chunk inside the area they were doing was great

Thank Post
    If your running to an IT room it might be easier to run less cables and use a switch and patch panel in the room.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Can beat that 24 was run by a firm I know the other year was impressive to watch they pulled 24 through this corridor and then split it into chunk inside the area they were doing was great
    that's crazy - 4 seemed a sensible amount last time I was doing a large cable install. (pulling 2 further to allow for socket spacing)

May sound really silly but label as you go so you know which cable goes where. - nothing more annoying than a wall plate with 7 and 19 on it because you got the cables mixed up in the bundle.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    We used 6 boxes per pull back in the Feb half term when we were adding extra points into our 2 main IT suites.
    Used electrical tape to join 2 cables for the point, then taped all 6 together. Made it so much easier to pull them though the roof void and then down the new ductwork onto the bench (and meant I had to make less trips over the rafters to pull all 18 outlets )

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boredguy View Post
    We used 6 boxes per pull back in the Feb half term when we were adding extra points into our 2 main IT suites.
    Used electrical tape to join 2 cables for the point, then taped all 6 together. Made it so much easier to pull them though the roof void and then down the new ductwork onto the bench (and meant I had to make less trips over the rafters to pull all 18 outlets )
    Couldn't agree more, single cables (even twin for that matter) have a tendency to snag in voids, six upwards is a good number as long as you number them to the box they come from. I would also keep tape to a minimum when creating the bundles as if anything goes wrong either at installation of at a later date, being able to pull a single cable within the bundle as a draw cable to replace a damaged one is a lot easier. Also avoid the cable having tight kinks when pulling, this can damage a core and result in one of the cables failing. I've done loads of installs in Cinema's pulling upwards of 200 cables to IT and AV kit..... kroning them to the patch panel is mind numbing :-(

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast