+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Wired Networks Thread, HP V1810-48G Ports stop working until reboot in Technical; This does sound a lot like STP and port blocking. Even if the switch says it is disabled, it may ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This does sound a lot like STP and port blocking. Even if the switch says it is disabled, it may actually be taking effect. I've had firewalls with buggy firmware telling me traffic was allowed in the logs when it was clear and evident it was actually being denied. Could be something similar going on here especially if the HP support guys say the logs look fine.

If you do end up having to replace these 1810s and only need unmanaged switches, the Netgear unmanaged switches are the very best bang for the buck you can get. If you need managed switches, the HPs are the best value (despite your issues with these 1810s don't let it burn you on all HPs).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    It does sound like something's seriously wrong with the HP 1810, however I've never installed this model so it's hard to say. The HP 2530 is very similar, but it's pretty much twice the price.

I agree with the above comments... it does sound like the switch has most likely been heavily locked down and doesn't provide half the features of more expensive switches.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    This does sound a lot like STP and port blocking. Even if the switch says it is disabled, it may actually be taking effect. I've had firewalls with buggy firmware telling me traffic was allowed in the logs when it was clear and evident it was actually being denied. Could be something similar going on here especially if the HP support guys say the logs look fine.

If you do end up having to replace these 1810s and only need unmanaged switches, the Netgear unmanaged switches are the very best bang for the buck you can get. If you need managed switches, the HPs are the best value (despite your issues with these 1810s don't let it burn you on all HPs).
    That's a pity.
    It hasn't put me off HP at all, the rest of our infrastructure is all HP and I'm very happy with it!

Thank Post
    Is STP configured correctly for the network with the priorities and such set for the core and outer switches? I have an older 1810 at home (the first fanless 24 port Gb) and have never had an issue, although I do realize the v2 is different hardware!

What does the loop protection show for offline ports?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Is STP configured correctly for the network with the priorities and such set for the core and outer switches? I have an older 1810 at home (the first fanless 24 port Gb) and have never had an issue, although I do realize the v2 is different hardware!

What does the loop protection show for offline ports?
    It doesn't look like the V1810-48G has STP configuration.

Attached is a screenshot of the Loop Protection page:

Loop Protection.PNG

Thank Post
    Just out of interest what is the system version? (HP ProCurve 1810G - 24 GE, P.2.2, eCos-2.0, CFE-2.1 on my old one.)

Does the non working device still show in the MAC table? Storm control or Auto DoS enabled? It's a bit difficult to diagnose the 1800s as they aren't really like the other procurves :/ (different os etc).
    Does another device work on the same port if you plug it in? (might give an idea if it's hardware or software at least).

For the people who have issues:

For the network is STP enabled on the core, does it have a lower ID than the edges (ie not the 32768 it defaults with)
    Using vlans
    HP model (J number for the procurves affected).

Just curious as I've used Procurve for a long time and not had any issues, but 2500 was always the minimum I used (fully managed and 802.1x was essential!).

Thank Post
    Q: Does the ProCurve Switch 1800 series support Spanning Tree Protocols?
    No, the ProCurve Switch 1800 Series does not support any of the Spanning Tree Protocols (802.1s, 802.1D, or 802.1w).

Hmm, always worth checking if the core can see the MAC on the uplink too, STP can be a pain, but it is very useful when available. Pity the 1800s don't have it :|

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Just out of interest what is the system version? (HP ProCurve 1810G - 24 GE, P.2.2, eCos-2.0, CFE-2.1 on my old one.)

Does the non working device still show in the MAC table? Storm control or Auto DoS enabled? It's a bit difficult to diagnose the 1800s as they aren't really like the other procurves :/ (different os etc).
    Does another device work on the same port if you plug it in? (might give an idea if it's hardware or software at least).

For the people who have issues:

For the network is STP enabled on the core, does it have a lower ID than the edges (ie not the 32768 it defaults with)
    Using vlans
    HP model (J number for the procurves affected).

Just curious as I've used Procurve for a long time and not had any issues, but 2500 was always the minimum I used (fully managed and 802.1x was essential!).
    Thanks @DMcCoy - I'll have a look as soon as the lab is free next.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We've been looking at the Cisco Small Business series, as purely an entry level switch - 48/24 port (emphasis on entry level), however we're yet to try them. We've tried Netgear and HP entry level managed switch hardware and experienced switch reboots with both, especially with the gs748t.
    I wouldn't say that I've completely lost faith in managed entry level switch hardware, but with a pattern emerging with the different makes, my faith is slowly waning
    I would recommend you aim to convince the purse strings, to invest more in backend hardware, with emphasis on reliability and how far the extra outlay will go
    The alternative, as seawolf mentions, is to perhaps look for an unmanaged switch (if the budget doesn't permit).
    Last edited by Mr_Jiminy; 6th February 2014 at 07:22 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've tried a couple of the Cisco Small Business switches (Linksys) about three years ago, but had one of them blow up on me after 6 months of use and with the other one, LACP stopped working after a couple of years just out of the blue. Real Cisco switches are great - expensive, but great. I stay away from the Small Business line now, but maybe they've improved. Anyone with experience with these lately?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    I've tried a couple of the Cisco Small Business switches (Linksys) about three years ago, but had one of them blow up on me after 6 months of use and with the other one, LACP stopped working after a couple of years just out of the blue. Real Cisco switches are great - expensive, but great. I stay away from the Small Business line now, but maybe they've improved. Anyone with experience with these lately?
    Interestingly enough just had a netgear blow up.
    I'm going to take a punt on the CSB, I'll report back after a putting in place.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ok so installed two CSB 48port switches last week, at Cisco Small Business SF300-48P (10/100) and a SG300-52P (1000), definitely a better build than the netgear low end, also better web interface than both netgear and hp (again low end).
    I'd definitely buy them again as a preferred a low end offering.

Thank Post
    It seems that there is a new firmware that fixes this problem.

https://h10145.www1.hp.com/Downloads...riesId=3963985

Thank Post
    Thanks @AMED, I've tried the new firmware but still the same issues

Thank Post
    I seemed to still have the problem on a couple of switches after the firmware update but once I power cycled them at the wall socket they seemed come right.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast