+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Wired Networks Thread, NETGEAR vs. HP in Technical; Has anyone got history with either of these switches? NETGEAR ProSafe GS724TS or HP V1810-24G Not used HP, so keen ...
    Thank Post

NETGEAR vs. HP

Has anyone got history with either of these switches?

NETGEAR ProSafe GS724TS or HP V1810-24G

Not used HP, so keen for opinions.

Thank Post
    Can't speak for the HP but the Netgear is ok, very loud but haven't had any problems with the 48 port version. Suspect most people will say go for HP though

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not a sole on the planet in the networking biz will say go Netgear, that's for sure. Not had any experience of that model but the stuff we've had in the past worked OK. The 1810 is capable if not basic, and backed up with a warranty that's worth the cost of the switch itself.

Thank Post
    The 1810 is a quiet if not silent switch and web based admin. Its a nice little switch just remeber to keep saving the config.

Thank Post
    Yeah tbf if I had the choice and the price was the same, I'd always go for HP too.

Thank Post
    Just remember that most HP switches are only initially configurable via CLI and then you can enable the web interface.

Thank Post
    The 1810 is configured only by web interface.

Thank Post
    Thanks folks, figured HP would be the better choice, was just a little concerned the hp switch in question would be somewhat lacking.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    I've had some experience with Netgear ProSafe kit, and it isn't terrible (you could certainly do worse), but I'd go for the ProCurve personally. All my wired networking kit here is ProCurve and I've only ever encountered 1 problem with it in nearly 4 years.

As someone who despises pretty much everything else HP does, that's saying something.

Thank Post
    We have a lot of Netgear Prosafe (all edge switches) here, mainly due to budget restraints and we haven't had any problems with them, they have been in 3 years.

Get the best that you can afford, put in for HP if you prefer, if the school says we can't afford that then get the Netgear instead. We use Netgear and D-Link (core) here due to the costs, and haven't had any issues yet. Everyone has preferred manufacturers and everyone has different budgets, different students etc. Make the choice that benefits the school more, if your school is in dire need of new switches but also has very little money, then you need to way up the benefits of the better switch to the school as a whole, or whether money saved is better for the school.

Thank Post
    have had issues with netgear switches before including one model (cant remember which) that just seems to be really slow passing on dhcp leases so much so that i was at one yesterday pc plugged into that no dhcp lease plugged into another switch no problems

Thank Post
    Most of the complaints I read here regarding Netgear Prosafe switches being "c@#p" are mostly made out of ignorance, frustration or simply based on speculative diagnosis.

They do what they do at probably the most cost effective price per port given a chance.
    Even the warranty and support given has improved 10 fold in the last few years as they try to establish themselves as a major player in the SMB arena.

The real problem with Netgear switches is inconsistency in the manufacturing processes that cause so many different versions of the same model, these result in a plethora of similar physical switches some with the same model names V2, V3, V4 hardware etc.
    This results in far too many Firmware version/updates with often incompatibility issues between switches in a stack or group.

Other annoyances such as not being able to change default VLAN settings causes inconsistencies when trying to integrate into other systems which means they are not flexible enough in some cases to be adopted into existing infrastructure and are better suited when building an "economy infrastructure" from scratch.

All in all this makes Netgear not always the best choice when seeking to add them to an existing network on a piecemeal basis.
    In my experience and I have used a lot of Netgear Prosafe kit over the years they are reliable cost effective switches, they just require too much effort when trying to make them work in a mixed vendor environment.

We ALWAYS specify HP first with Netgear as the "Cost Conscious" second option but where we have Large scale Netgear Stacks and edge cabinets all with the same hardware and compatible firmware they run as sweetly as the HP kit.

I find the HP CLI and GUI easier to work with and the terminology used is more industry standard than some of the best effort translations of the Netgear and the HP's are certainly more friendly.

However you really need to compare what's on the inside not just the outside, the RAM and CPU and the switches OS determine the throughput and MAC Table capacities and its too easy to buy a cheap 48 port switch with woefully inadequate resources for some of the LANs used on this forum...

We see LANs with well over 2000 live MAC addresses and some clown will plug in a £50 switch destined for a home network and then complain bitterly when it fails to resolve network targets in a respectable time or fails to pick up an IP address from a server 7 hops away with STP running everywhere...

You only get what you pay for, hence why some people here will think nothing of spending £30k on a core cabinet.
    I have Netgear Switches still running after 10 years of service and I have HP PoE switches that never made it 12 months before a PSU caught fire! So I don't believe reliability is a factor.
    You pay a premium for HP switchgear you expect and receive (in most cases) a premium service but as far as the cheaper HP switches go they are no better than any other vendors budget c@#p

As said elsewhere you buy the best you can afford on the budget you are given, as an NM you are expected to do your homework and spend your budget wisely you can do no more!

13. 2 Thanks to m25man:

AngryTechnician (2nd May 2013), bodminman (2nd May 2013)

Thank Post
    We have had a number of Netgear switches/devices including their wireless solution (which worked very well).

All OK, the only problem we had was with the Netgear GS724T switch. Experienced connectivity issues including when trying to configured it via the web interface (it kept dropping the connection).

I am not certain what the cause was, I am fairly sure it wasn't caused by an external issue, but in the end we just swapped it out.

If you can go afford it go for HP/Cisco, otherwise Netgear are OK.

I hope that this helps.

Regards,

Bruce.

Thank Post
    HP = Lifetime warranty, what more do you need.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    Yeah tbf if I had the choice and the price was the same, I'd always go for HP too.
    To clarify this, I meant only if I could get the HP for the price of the Netgear

I like HP stuff but as a small school it doesn't make sense to spend many x the price on their switches. My core switch is a stack of a GSM7352S and GSM7328S which haven't missed a beat since being installed. They have all the featuires a decent L3 switch needs and I'm really happy with them.

It's only the GS748T I'm not too keen on, though theres nothing wrong with it

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast