+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Wired Networks Thread, NETGEAR vs. HP in Technical; We have netgear here, pricing was a huge issue for us. I have a meaty GSM7328S but most are L2 ...

Thank Post
    We have netgear here, pricing was a huge issue for us. I have a meaty GSM7328S but most are L2 GSM7224 and similar. The Vlanning uses different terminology and some weirdness that I haven't got my head round yet but the warrnties are very good too...lifetime on most of my kit. I did buy a 48 port switch off ebay which had an issue and they exchanged it, accepting a ebay bill as prrof of purchase so i got the latest model.

As for the wireless... ermmm... get something better.

Thank Post
    On another note - has anyone reading this got a GS748Tv4 showing more than 24hrs up time? I'm dealing with an issue where none of the GS748T's have more than 23:59:59hrs uptime?? Netgear Level3 support have not heard of it (yet) Im just putting one up in the Lab to see what happens have to wait 24 Hrs to get the results...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I've got to disagree with the principal of "get what you can afford". For everything else; software, PC's etc I'd be inclined to agree. I see network products as the lifeblood of an ICT infrastructure and as such the rule should be "get what you need".Network issues cause a huge loss of productivity for all users, more so than a single server failure . It wastes our time debugging them and causes misery all over. Ultimately you need to match the feature set of your expected network requirements with that of the switch - not that of your budget. If your budget doesn't include what you need then just don't put a network in until it does. I don't have an issue at all with using low end procurves, netgear or even dlink on a small network with limited requirements but as soon as you start adding a several hundred network devices things change. Multiple VLANs, OSPF routes, LACP links, QOS telephones, IP cameras, door systems etc will affect things dramatically. The benefits of a decent operating system (read: comware, CiscoIOS) come into their own when it comes to debugging and setting up a manageable network.

Thank Post
    This debate has moved to far from the original one. As now products from different price points are being compared, afterall switch costs go from a few pounds for an unmanaged fesktop switch to 10s of thousands for top end data centre equipment.

In reality when you budget for the switch you compare at your price point and make the decision, and depending on what the switch is for helps makes a decision as to which one to buy as well. Different places put different thrings through the switches, as shown above, a lot of schools have only data with multiple VLANs, others have everything. Most medium to high end switches have decent OSs on them for debugging, when you move to the fully managed from "smart" switches, they might not be the best, and there is probably less perr support but then their in the argument of which OS is best in multiple aspects of IT.

We are also all trying to second guess the future, whether we will need extra features of better switches, how many extra ports to get in place. Is it better to get the 1gb HP Procurve or better to get a 1Gb Netgear with 10Gb uplinks? All are questions that need answering when we buy a switch. It also depends on what is already in place, if you have 95% HP Procurve then you would probably not put one odd one out switch in place.

Thank Post
    We are predominantly a Netgear site here too, we have lots of GS724TS, one GS247T, a couple of GS748TS, 2x GSM7324s, a Netgear POE switch (forget which model) and a few older D-Link DES-3828 level switches (in places where the devices don't generally need 1gb connections like our print room).

We undertook to get the network on our site up to 1gb across the board when I was within the first year of post and unify it to a single brand where possible (going for netgear primarily because of price compared to the alternatives (Cisco and HP) and we had a mixed network with a lot of 100meg D-Link stuff and a few netgears here and there) and its worked very well with minimal fuss when installed, as we redid the network here two years back, the stacks we created using the Netgears in places worked straightaway with no problem at all (because they were not all bought at the same time, I did have a spell unifying and updating all the firmwares on the devices, primarily though because our D-Links were having an issue because of their firmware at the time, I just made sure all was the same), It is worth saying here though that at present we do not VLAN in our school, but thats going to be my next thing to try out around here tying in with our virtualisation project we have ongoing.

Thank Post
    I'll nip this in the bud and say thanks everyone, I really appreciated the ace feedback... I went with the HP in the end, looking forward to the install.

Thank Post
    Well, too late, as the HP has really basic features, only: Comparison of fanless layer 2 switches - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We're using that one and hopefully getting some more in as edge devices. Work with the CLI, using the GUI is like dragging your testicles along sandpaper.
    Plus, to show how much you need to avoid wikipedia, snoerre's link might suggest people should plump for the D-Link.... (port failure magnets)
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 4th May 2013 at 08:56 AM.

Thank Post
    If I'm honest with you all, for the last three years I've been using Netgear switches and found them to be fine, albeit much of an uncertainty, especially when it came to upgrading the firmware on the blighters. I also found some to very VERY noisy, although this was usually drowned out by the fans on old 2950's, lol.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    We're using that one and hopefully getting some more in as edge devices. Work with the CLI, using the GUI is like dragging your testicles along sandpaper.
    Plus, to show how much you need to avoid wikipedia, snoerre's link might suggest people should plump for the D-Link.... (port failure magnets)
    hp web interfaces do seem to be getting worse

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Well, looking at Wikipedia, the Cisco/Linksys SG300 looks best...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I meant all round - there's a large difference in that the SG300 is over 400 and the Dlink is just over 100.

Thank Post
    I think that HP model is one of the rebadged 3com switches when HP absorbed 3com. None the less a better choice than Netgear. I used the Netgear switches you quoted previously and they would sometimes lose the configs during a maintenance power cycle.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geezersoft View Post
    I think that HP model is one of the rebadged 3com switches when HP absorbed 3com.
    The lower end of HP's range is the procurve line which is where the v series sits . The H3C/3com stuff is in their midrange and is the A series.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast