+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wired Networks Thread, Size of VLANS in Technical; Hi, When creating multiple VLANs for clients, purely for the purpose of cutting down broadcast and segmentation (for example if ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,550 Posts
    Blog Entries

Size of VLANS

Hi,

When creating multiple VLANs for clients, purely for the purpose of cutting down broadcast and segmentation (for example if something start flooding a vlan causing problems or a dodgy DHCP) how many clients do you put in each VLAN please?

Its just for a size really not locations etc

Thanks
    Last edited by FN-GM; 3rd April 2013 at 09:07 PM. Reason: more nfo added

Thank Post
    I usually did /24 but mostly machines were grouped by type and area, some core vlans and individual ones for each switch for student machines connected to it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,550 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, do you usually fill up all of the /24 vlans?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 867 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We're making sure there won't be any problems with the existing ones we're currently setting up - so we have a couple of /25s for misc bits, most of them are /24s, each of our sites are /22s and our wireless inc guest is a /20.
    We won't be running out this time! /shakes fist!

Thank Post
    No, but I didn't have to worry about large numbers of wireless devices at the time, it may be better to have a slightly larger subnet for that vlan. For rooms/trolleys/admin/teaching it's usually fine.

Thank Post
    For Management VLANS we usually use a subnet for the correct number of devices +10 for expansion, same for the servers VLAN although generally these days we use /24's on server VLANs, PC VLANs we make the same size as users, if we had so many users and machines we would create VLANS with the right subnet size for users. Guest wifi is /28.

We manage fine, Makes it easily manageable.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Does anyone use variable length sub-net masking for their Vlans?

Thank Post
    Some would argue that your vlans should not extend past the local switch.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That would mean that every switch cab would need an L3 switch. I used that design before but with each cab on /24 and routing at the centre on a hp 4108gl.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Destinova View Post
    Some would argue that your vlans should not extend past the local switch.
    And they may be missing the point, as above this would require L3 at every cabinet or at the least multiplying the backhaul links by the number of VLANs.

The size depends on what kind of broadcast domain your system can cope with and what kid of isolation you want. We break stuff up into smaller subnets to limit broadcast domains - making bandwidth usage a little more efficient which can be big on wireless. It also helps limit certain attack and fault vectors like loopbacks and ARP poisoning.

There can be additional security concerns using VLANs for isolation if you have trunked ports out in the open but the benifits almost always outweigh the risk.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Most of the decent switches are L3 anyway, and it does make a good deal of sense. Some would even argue that the uplinks should be OSPF VLAN's of their own (ie a vlan of 2). There isn't any point in polluting uplinks with random traffic that doesn't need to be there. I've got 4 links like this and it works pretty well.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Most of the decent switches are L3 anyway, and it does make a good deal of sense. Some would even argue that the uplinks should be OSPF VLAN's of their own (ie a vlan of 2). There isn't any point in polluting uplinks with random traffic that doesn't need to be there. I've got 4 links like this and it works pretty well.
    If you can afford switches like that, if you are looking mid range most are the old school type of basic routing and not layer 3 bridging so you get some hefty penalties on traffic speed and latency. It also depends on how big your system is, we ahve a 5412zl at the core that happily does all the layer 3 bridging, we could have the lesser 2900 series do it but their featureset is way more limited and it just makes more sense to do it at the core. Almost all of our traffic traverses back to the core anyway so the traffic patterns are not markedly different. If our resources were much more distributed then a different structure may be benificial.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    We have a setup like this (Very dense Layer 3 to the Edge) each switch has 5 to 10 vlans for various services and also additional vlans for OSPF uplinks. All service vlans are /24 and OSPF vlans are /30 (if i remember correctly)
    I must say this setup is a pain in the A*se to admin and wireless clients hate it as they are constantly roaming and changing IP.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    If you can afford switches like that, if you are looking mid range most are the old school type of basic routing and not layer 3 bridging so you get some hefty penalties on traffic speed and latency. It also depends on how big your system is, we ahve a 5412zl at the core that happily does all the layer 3 bridging, we could have the lesser 2900 series do it but their featureset is way more limited and it just makes more sense to do it at the core. Almost all of our traffic traverses back to the core anyway so the traffic patterns are not markedly different. If our resources were much more distributed then a different structure may be benificial.
    I think it's good practice to keep data, that doesn't need to be there, away from the uplinks and the core; even if that comes at a cost of overall switching capacity. The caveat would be if there was a lot of traffic that needs to go between the PC's, which is rarely the case.

It does sound like I'm running a much bigger network with over 50 switches and 80 AP's. 4x A5800's on the core. A mix of 4800's and 5500's at the near edge (where I do the majority of OSFP routing) and a mix of 3600SI 5120 SI and (mostly) 4500's at the edge and a sprinkling of 4500G POE's.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apeman View Post
    I must say this setup is a pain in the A*se to admin and wireless clients hate it as they are constantly roaming and changing IP.
    I actually find it easier to admin - the reason being is that it is far easier to diagnose a problem with/in a discrete network than one where traffic is going through multiple switches. We've got a MERU setup, and wireless clients don't even notice the difference if they go between different AP's
    Last edited by CyberNerd; 4th April 2013 at 09:33 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast