+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wired Networks Thread, VLANs onto existing subnets in Technical; I suppose that means every port switch will be tagged with two VLANs, the default and the new guest VLAN ...
    Thank Post
    I suppose that means every port switch will be tagged with two VLANs, the default and the new guest VLAN (50) - that might take a bit more setting up.

Thank Post
    Another vote here for Procurves. We have various models through the school, and they are easy to manage through either the individual web interface or Procurve Manager.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    I suppose that means every port switch will be tagged with two VLANs, the default and the new guest VLAN (50) - that might take a bit more setting up.
    Nope no extra setting up. Your on the switch anyway to configure one or two ports, just select them all at once not individuals

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    all you need to do is tag or trunk the vlans you want on to the specific port for the AP the only other place you need to do this is the feed from the switch higher up this also need the feeder (other switch) port to have the trunk ports. don't set all your ports to have all the tagged traffic this is a bad idea.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by januttall View Post
    don't set all your ports to have all the tagged traffic this is a bad idea.
    I did say it wasnt best practice

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    just wait till you get a student or device that desides to bridge the VLANs PC's Can be set to use multiple VLANS. DONT TAGG ALL PORTS!! BAD IDEA.

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    With Ruckus only tag the ports you need (as long as you haven't put the Ruckus management on a different vLAN), if you plug into the wrong port probably the most that will happen is the Guest SSID won't work from the AP.
    Last edited by Davit2005; 21st March 2013 at 12:26 PM.

Thank Post
    The APs and ZD are all on different subnets but the same (default) vlan (i.e not assigned)

Thank Post
    I have never used ruckus but I assume they are VLAN aware APs (I would expect so since cheaper unifi ones are). As others have said, it doesnt matter what subnet your existing vlans are on your switches, your "new" vlan will be treat separately (the whole idea of a vlan). So as long as you have (say) vlan 50 set up on every switch that needs a ruckus AP and you have with tagged uplinks and the ruckus switch port as tagged to vlan 50 (with default vlan left alone and probably still set to untagged on whatever your default PVID is). I imagine inside the ruckus management software you have your "normal" SSID set up and can add "guest SSID" but locked to VLAN 50. Have your L3 switch route as appropriate and the voodoo will work.

If you want to test the setup easily, set up two PCs with static ip addresses different to any of your network subnets (we dont use 192.168.x.x so that is ideal for my tests). Set up a port on one switch as untagged VLAN50 with PVID of vlan50 (it wont be a member of your "default" vlan), do the same on another switch elsewhere and they should be able to talk to each other without leaking out onto your network. If that works then your guest wireless should work too (dont forget to either not use your test ports or put them back! It is so easy to forget this and wonder why PCxxx isnt connecting to the domain...!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12