+ Post New Thread
Wired Networks Thread, 3com SFP transceiver compatibility in HP switches in Technical; As the title suggests, are any of you running any 3com transceivers in HP switches? I am in the process ...

Thank Post

3com SFP transceiver compatibility in HP switches

As the title suggests, are any of you running any 3com transceivers in HP switches? I am in the process of speccing up a new core switch for all my fibres to run from and a supplier has told me I have to get HP transceivers instead of the 3com ones I already have. Is he right, or is he trying to make a fast bonus for himself?

Thank Post
    I know all my HP switches have to have the HP Transceivers because HP locked the firmware down to HP only brand.

Thats one the reasons why my new core switch i bought last year is a netgear i can use all types or transceivers.

3. Thanks to victory2012 from:

sven (7th March 2013)

Thank Post
    I have a spare 3com transceiver that I have put into an HP1910-48g. I'm going to switch the fibre over to that and see if it works. That switch is only a few months old so I'm hoping that should be a good test.

Thanks for enlightening me about the firmware locking. I'll keep that in mind when looking at other manufacturers for the core
    Last edited by sven; 7th March 2013 at 12:05 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,458 Times in 1,002 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes, if it's a Comware (i.e. was 3COM) switch. I'm running HP A5800 and A5120 switches with 3COM transceivers here quite happily - it was a big reason why I went with that range of HP kit, as it saved me money rebuying transceivers. Note that you might need to update the firmware to stop the switch complaining - they erroneously declared them unusable, but as this was a year ago I would hope any new kit would have the correct firmware on already.

If you buy ProCurve kit then only HP stuff will do.

EDIT for more info: my core switch is a stacked pair of A5800s, and the A5120s are stacked together at the edges. Lovely bits of kit. I bought all this from SwitchShop about a year ago, who were full of useful advice and people wot knew their stuff - PM if you want contact details. If nothing else, it's worth being on their mailing lists as they send out chocolate for Easter and an advent calendar at Christmas
    Last edited by sonofsanta; 7th March 2013 at 11:10 AM.

6. 2 Thanks to sonofsanta:

njc235 (19th August 2014), sven (7th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Yes, if it's a Comware (i.e. was 3COM) switch. I'm running HP A5800 and A5120 switches with 3COM transceivers here quite happily - it was a big reason why I went with that range of HP kit, as it saved me money rebuying transceivers. Note that you might need to update the firmware to stop the switch complaining - they erroneously declared them unusable, but as this was a year ago I would hope any new kit would have the correct firmware on already.

If you buy ProCurve kit then only HP stuff will do.

EDIT for more info: my core switch is a stacked pair of A5800s, and the A5120s are stacked together at the edges. Lovely bits of kit. I bought all this from SwitchShop about a year ago, who were full of useful advice and people wot knew their stuff - PM if you want contact details. If nothing else, it's worth being on their mailing lists as they send out chocolate for Easter and an advent calendar at Christmas
    Just tested my 3com transceiver in a 1910-48G and it's working perfectly. I'm not entirely sure which switch I'm going to go for yet, but do you think I would be right in thinking that anything half decent (apart from the ProCurve stuff as you already mentioned) should work? I'm really keen to buy some HP switches as I really rate their kit, but I don't want to approach my boss with a bill for 4 new transceivers. I think that would be a little too much for him to take

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,458 Times in 1,002 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sven View Post
    Just tested my 3com transceiver in a 1910-48G and it's working perfectly. I'm not entirely sure which switch I'm going to go for yet, but do you think I would be right in thinking that anything half decent (apart from the ProCurve stuff as you already mentioned) should work? I'm really keen to buy some HP switches as I really rate their kit, but I don't want to approach my boss with a bill for 4 new transceivers. I think that would be a little too much for him to take
    Any decent reseller should be able to tell you if a particular HP switch will work with 3COM transceivers. I don't understand the naming scheme enough to give you a hard-and-fast rule, but my understanding is that if it uses Comware then it should work with 3COM stuff. Double- and triple-check any model before you buy, though, the only models I know for definite are the A5800s (£2500+ each) and the A5120s (£1500+ each) because I'm using them right now with a mix of 3COM transceivers of different ages

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sven View Post
    I have a spare 3com transceiver that I have put into an HP1910-48g. I'm going to switch the fibre over to that and see if it works. That switch is only a few months old so I'm hoping that should be a good test.

Thanks for enlightening me about the firmware locking. I'll keep that in mind when looking at other manufacturers for the core
    I'm fairly sure that will probably work as (off the top of my head) the HP1910 is actually running the 3com os so might not be a great test.

what switch are you speccing up?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    When HP initially released the re branded HP kit the old 3com transceivers didn't work but HP fixed that with a patch on the switches.
    We applied the patch and everything is fine.
    I think you should get a reseller who knows what he's talking about.

11. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

sven (7th March 2013)

Thank Post
    This has all been very useful information. As I haven't had to replace much hardware since I've been here, I haven't had any experience with these possible pitfalls. I will let you know how i get on. Many thanks!

Thank Post
    it is said that HP released a patch to allow 3com SFP's to work in some HP switch,but it doesn`t mean it will work for every switch,it seems to depend on your fortune.
    here is a support matix of some of the HP switch, although your recent switch 1910-48g is not in this sheet,but if u keen to buy HP switches,i think it will help u in future.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptics View Post
    it is said that HP released a patch to allow 3com SFP's to work in some HP switch,but it doesn`t mean it will work for every switch,it seems to depend on your fortune.
    here is a support matix of some of the HP switch, although your recent switch 1910-48g is not in this sheet,but if u keen to buy HP switches,i think it will help u in future.
    the support matix: http://http://bizsupport1.austin.hp..../c02605446.pdf

Thank Post
    The rule of thumb is as follows; if it's Procurve, it will need genuine HP. If it was born from comware (a 3COM legacy derivative) it will take just about anything.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread