+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wired Networks Thread, Unmanaged to Managed networks in Technical; Originally Posted by Iain.Faulkner I can understand the practical reasoning behind it (and wouldn't say it's a complete waste of ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain.Faulkner View Post
    I can understand the practical reasoning behind it (and wouldn't say it's a complete waste of time), I just don't think I could fit it into my budget...
    True, however I am guessing we are talking about a school here? When budgets are getting tightened I really don't see the need for expenditure like that, get the switches working first, get some decent end user hardware and some decent servers (obviously protected by UPS there!) and go from there, if there is money left look at the nice to haves.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Cook View Post
    It depends, if you have POE switches powering voip phones, Access Points or CCTV, it might be a good idea. Then the phone system and laptop users can keep working during a power outage. Small UPSs are pretty cheap these days, and if you only have a few cabinets to protect, it probably isn't going to be that expensive.

We have a few of the 1910s and the 3com equivalent, haven't had any problems with them.
    I think the cost and maintenance overheads far outweighs the benefits of putting a UPS on an edge device like a switch. The main purpose of UPS to my mind is to be able to safely shut down the device rather than trying to keep it going until power is restored. How do you assess what size UPS you need for a switch? How long do you want it to run for? I have over 40 cabs and they are all connected to rings that supply PCs in rooms and offices so if the power goes down then so do the PCs!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_ View Post
    Replacement batteries every 2-3 years. Doesn't seem too much of an issue?
    Hi

I have moved from no UPS on most of our HP Switch cabs to putting them on everyone. We have constant power outages and over voltages which have killed Macs, Printers and PC's. Battery replacement every three years is not a hassle and only costs about 20 each. Well worth it to ensure a smooth supply to the switch.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Moved from an unmanaged riff raff of Dell, Hp, Netgear and SMC to Juniper throughout, installed by @Net-Ctrl. Works like a charm. Having to refresh my memory on switch programming and vlans, but all is good. All cabs will have ups in as well, as soon as the refurb of the building is finished.

Thank Post
    Sorry for the late post.

I now have my 5406 and 2530 HP switches ready for the summer, all ports traced and fibres mapped just to start configuring the layer 3 and tag all the ports. Notsure where to start understand the theory but never configured a layer 3. Will be using this our unifi deployment.

IP Ranges split in to:

Networking devices
    Servers
    Printing
    Wireless APs
    Security

Web filter lightspeed bottle rocket appliance.
    Could any one advise on setting up networking, Microsoft network policy server, unifi etc where to start

Thank Post
    Hi

This seems to have got off the original post but - you are brave doing this without help! You need to use a subnet calculator to ensure you don't have overlapping IP ranges for each of your subnets. Just google it. On the Unifi Wifi - I just fitted my first one last night for a local charity and discovered the WLAN controller software will not install on a Small Business Server 2011 essentials! So I installed it on my laptop and then discovered you have to be logged into the same user profile to get it to work at all. Since I had changed the domain I was connected to to configure it it meant a lot of work unjoining the domain, restarting and rejoining the domain. I was impressed with the Unifi AP and it only cost 54 including the celingin and wall mount brackets and the bespoke PoE adaptor. It was only single channel n ready so I only got 64 MBps but this was better than beofre and tonight I discovered I got a five bar connection in another room where I did not expect it to be good. Very impressed.

Thank Post
    We have 25 unifi APs running from a linux controller, have some Pros and LR units ready to install over the summer.

As for the networking I have a friend helping me who is a networking engineer where I used to work. Just looking for some pointers on the vlan config scripts that others have implemented to get a starting point.

Thank Post
    I am happy to copy and paste mine in for my layer 3 switch if it helps. Again, I paid someone else to configure this switch because it had to work properly straight away - especially as the core switch cost 7K!

Thank Post
    That would be great if you could. Do you run any Nac ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantech View Post
    I am happy to copy and paste mine in for my layer 3 switch if it helps. Again, I paid someone else to configure this switch because it had to work properly straight away - especially as the core switch cost 7K!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantech View Post
    Hi @Dantech were you able to look at the switch config?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by truebluesteve View Post
    I think the cost and maintenance overheads far outweighs the benefits of putting a UPS on an edge device like a switch. The main purpose of UPS to my mind is to be able to safely shut down the device rather than trying to keep it going until power is restored. How do you assess what size UPS you need for a switch? How long do you want it to run for? I have over 40 cabs and they are all connected to rings that supply PCs in rooms and offices so if the power goes down then so do the PCs!
    The main purpose of a UPS to my mind would be providing clean, uninterrupted power to expensive hardware. You don't want a brownout or a surge killing things... clean shutdown and uptime is secondary.

I have an unmanaged UPS connected to each of my switch stacks, the aim isnt to provide uptime, just to ensure no failures occur due to a power problem that is out of my control.
    Last edited by cogrady84; 18th June 2013 at 09:59 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SchoolsBroadband View Post
    If any of you are using VoIP I'd *HIGHLY* recommend putting your IP phones on a separate VLAN!
    ... and QOS it to the max

HBJB

mpe

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Why wouldn't you?

Well, can't say I can answer that positively. You don't have a UPS on each and every client or other device hanging off the switch, so keeping the switch up surely would serve no purpose? Unless of course it's a netgear or belkin switch and the idea of "turning off" is likely to brick it.
    Plenty of clients do in effect have a built in UPS. e.g. laptops and tablets. The other obvious reason would be if it is a PoE switch.

mpe

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cogrady84 View Post
    The main purpose of a UPS to my mind would be providing clean, uninterrupted power to expensive hardware. You don't want a brownout or a surge killing things... clean shutdown and uptime is secondary.
    A very short interruption can cause things to reboot, even hang. Also switches can take longer to reboot than PCs. Teacher's tend to moan more in situations where the network fails due to a power failure they didn't see or "It's still not working even though the power's back on!"

Thank Post
    Its cost vs risk. how often does it happen? How much does it cost?

Are you prepared to spend x on the risk y of this happening. In my opinion no.

Risk is extremely low, cost is disproportionately high. I don't think its a bad idea, just an expensive one!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12