+ Post New Thread
Wired Networks Thread, isdn2 phone system in Technical; How do i connect ISDN2e to the phone system . there are 2 BT boxes on the walll with 2 ...

Thank Post

isdn2 phone system

How do i connect ISDN2e to the phone system . there are 2 BT boxes on the walll with 2 rj45 on each - do all 4 go into the phone system? thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    You usually patch from one on each ISDN2 NTE to each card / port on the system

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    You usually patch from one on each ISDN2 NTE to each card / port on the system
    Is there a common way to do this? I.e. is it usually box A socket 1 and box B socket 2, or some other combination?

We've recently having all sorts of trouble with incoming and outgoing calls at one of our smaller sites. There are 2x ISDN2 boxes and I was slightly surprised to find just one socket on each box connected to the PBX.

The green light is flashing on one box (although sometimes it's both) - the telecoms provider says it's a problem syncing which could be a problem our end or their end. If we call out an engineer, there is a "no fault found" charge if it's the former.

Just can't work out whether it's our PBX failing or the ISDN at fault.

It doesn't help that here appears to be no documentation (online) for this PBX (called iBox).

Thanks,

Bruce.

Thank Post
    You could do worse than going to whoever provides the ISDN (BT?) and get them to run some line tests if it's BT and there is a fault the line will magically start working despite them not finding a fault. At least thats a no cost option to start with

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
    You could do worse than going to whoever provides the ISDN (BT?) and get them to run some line tests if it's BT and there is a fault the line will magically start working despite them not finding a fault. At least thats a no cost option to start with

The problem before was that it was very intermittent and when I rang them (another telecoms provider using Openreach) the lines happened to be OK (both green steady). But the problem is getting worse and worse, today they were down more than up. So it might be worth giving this a go.

Thanks,

Bruce.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce123 View Post
    We've recently having all sorts of trouble with incoming and outgoing calls at one of our smaller sites.
    Ah - brings back memories of a rather frantic summer spent trying to get our IP based phone system working. We sorted it in the end by putting in new wiring from BT's junction box on the outside of the building to the point where we wanted to plug in the PBX. You can get BT in to do this or simply run a CAT5e cable yourself and just get BT in to terminate the cable at both ends. Things to try before you try that:

Check that the switch on the bottom of each ISDN terminator is set to "out".

How long is the cable between the ISDN terminating point and the PBX? Over a certain length you're supposed to use a terminating cable with (I think) a specific resistance - we got a couple off eBay.

I seem to remember only needing the two cables for four channels, I can't remember offhand why each terminating box has two connections.

Check the codec your PBX is using for ISDN. It should be using a-law in the UK.

As a diagnostic tool, we bought a cheap ISDN phone off eBay and tried that on the ISDN line.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce123 View Post
    Is there a common way to do this? I.e. is it usually box A socket 1 and box B socket 2, or some other combination?

We've recently having all sorts of trouble with incoming and outgoing calls at one of our smaller sites. There are 2x ISDN2 boxes and I was slightly surprised to find just one socket on each box connected to the PBX.

The green light is flashing on one box (although sometimes it's both) - the telecoms provider says it's a problem syncing which could be a problem our end or their end. If we call out an engineer, there is a "no fault found" charge if it's the former.

Just can't work out whether it's our PBX failing or the ISDN at fault.

It doesn't help that here appears to be no documentation (online) for this PBX (called iBox).

Thanks,

Bruce.
    Green light flashing is indicating a fault for sure, for example if you remove the cable from it it should after a few moments start to flash as it cannot complete its sync to the card. It is certainly worth a pushing for a line test. You are in a rock / hard place situation which I had with BT last year over ISDN30, it kept dropping and they said its fine so its the phone system, also a BT maintained, so got cross at both sides and when I told them both they would be charged for fault etc... the lines team decided it was a NTE fault and came and swapped it at both ends and magic all was good.

If both units drop and flash at the same time I'd find that a little strange and wonder if the card in the PBX is dying off perhaps.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread