+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Wired Networks Thread, New network build in Technical; That's just what I've been installing...Juniper call it Virtual Chassis. Works nicely...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That's just what I've been installing...Juniper call it Virtual Chassis. Works nicely

Gaz

Thank Post
    How many have you linked/stacked together? I'm just trying to work out the topology that may be needed. Do your access switches feed back to the Virtual Chassis? How does the Virtual Chassis handle a switch failure?

Thank Post
    Switch Failure ? Virtual Chassis ? VERY rare!!! Its rare you'd get a switch failure on VC, We use Juniper kit all over the UK now and have yet to see a drop out or a failure, we use EX series Switches in VC. If it was to happen the switches would fail over on the next switch so if we had Switch A,B,C,D and D or C failed, all the traffic would fail over to A or B, providing you have your links connected up correctly and configurations are correct of course, with no latency.

Even if a switch member within a Virtual Chassis configuration fails, the Virtual Chassis will continue to operate.

4. Thanks to cpjitservices from:

Gaz (1st March 2013)

Gaz

Thank Post
    Just the answer I was looking for.

Thank Post
    Well if you want VC, go Juniper.
    I've come across alot of switch configs in my time and use to run a network with over 100 Nortel switches in a college, but by far and away the EX series switches are the best Ive come across and are pretty cheap aswell.
    They are easy to configure via Web Config or CLI, and are built like brick houses!!! We have the EX 4200's. ATM here we arnt using VC admittedly because there's no need but we do elsewhere.
    I am also looking to implement Q Fabric at a remote site.

Juniper Networks - Virtual Chassis Technology Best Practices - Knowledge Base
    Introducing QFabric - It's time to tackle exponential demand
    EX2200 Ethernet Switch: Juniper Quality at an Entry-level Price - YouTube

We have 2200 series in quite a lot of remote sites, some of them even do alll of the routing between sites with Layer 3.

These are what we have:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MrT6KRvnpQ

7. Thanks to cpjitservices from:

Gaz (1st March 2013)

Gaz

Thank Post
    I'm not looking at brands just yet but I know Juniper are up there with the best of them. Is a Virtual Chassis just what Juniper called a stacked switch? From reading the Best practices guide I get the feeling it is. Just out of interest what Juniper switch would make a good core switch for an SMB with around 80 computers.

And now for a Vlan question
    Am I right in thinking that if I've got Layer3 switches at the core and Layer2 switches at the distribution/access points then the Layer3 core would do the inter-vlan routing for the layer2 switches?

Thank Post
    We have x2 EX 2200 with 48 ports on each serving a network with 100 nodes. Yes the Layer 3 switch will do the vlan routing for you, thats how we have it at a remote site.

VC is upto 10 Juniper EX4500 switches, its basically an extra cable you buy with the switches.

Depending on sites, usually anything with 200 or less nodes we use EX2200 series switches.

So for 80 users, 2 EX2200's (POE if needed) will be perfect.
    Last edited by cpjitservices; 1st March 2013 at 11:11 AM.

10. Thanks to cpjitservices from:

Gaz (1st March 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Another happy Juniper user here I have 4 EX4200s (should become 5 in the very near future....) in a VC stack which is split between two campuses 2 on each and they are linked by 10Gb fibre so even shiner

The EX2200s are great, we had one that had a borked firmware due to power spike and it got a bit stressed and carried on routing traffic for existing connections which meant I didn't actually notice the issue till I couldn't get into it to tweak a VLAN setting.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345