+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Wired Networks Thread, No connectivity between fibre modules in Technical; I'm just installing some new HP Provcurve kit. However I wasn't given enough money to replace all the current kit ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rotherham
    Posts
    1,666
    Thank Post
    119
    Thanked 126 Times in 102 Posts
    Rep Power
    44

    No connectivity between fibre modules

    I'm just installing some new HP Provcurve kit. However I wasn't given enough money to replace all the current kit on sit so I'm trying to get it to communicate with some old Nortel 450 switches.

    When I link up the fibre connections between the Nortel and the HP GBIC modules there is no connection. However there is a connection down the fibre when the Nortel switches talk to each other and then the HP switches I have replaced talk to each other.

    Is it normal for differnet manufatures to not to work together? I've had some netgear switches working with the HP modules. Or is it the case that the HP modules will only run at 1Gb and the Nortel stuff has a maximum speed of 100 Mb?

    Interestingly I can't see any light transmitted by the nortel fibre modules, yet I can with the HP.

  2. #2


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    338
    port shutdown? - they often are on first config.
    Twisted transmit-receive fibres?

  3. #3

    synaesthesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    5,482
    Thank Post
    527
    Thanked 875 Times in 682 Posts
    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    438
    Different modules may not work in certain switches at all - HP are buggers for this. HP modules in HP kit only, can't even use 3com ones!

  4. #4


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    338
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    HP modules in HP kit only, can't even use 3com ones!
    There was a firmware that fixed this.

  5. #5

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,713
    Thank Post
    269
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 1,011 Posts
    Rep Power
    345
    I would have said it is most likely the data is being send down the same cable as each other.

    use a phone and point it at the cable and see which side the beeam is coming from then compare this to the beam which is coming from the gbic?

    I.e Nortel is sending data down a to a on the HP but the HP is trying to send data down a whereas it should be sending it down B. Its just a case of swapping over which way around the cables are in the pair (normallly quite easy depending on patch lead and style).

  6. #6
    DMcCoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Isle of Wight
    Posts
    3,386
    Thank Post
    10
    Thanked 483 Times in 423 Posts
    Rep Power
    110
    What are the Gbics in each switch? Assuming they are both multimode or single mode the issue could be that 1Gb SFPs run at 1Gb or nothing.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rotherham
    Posts
    1,666
    Thank Post
    119
    Thanked 126 Times in 102 Posts
    Rep Power
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    What are the Gbics in each switch? Assuming they are both multimode or single mode the issue could be that 1Gb SFPs run at 1Gb or nothing.
    Cheers for the responses. I know its not the paring (transmit/receive) as I've tried swapping them round. And I'm using HP gbic's in HP kit. It's actual communication between the switches that's the issues.

    Having looked over the config the only option I have for the fibre on the HP switches is 1000Mb where as I know the Nortel switches only run at 100Mb so I'm leaning towards this suggestion. I wondered of there were any other ideas.

  8. #8

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,713
    Thank Post
    269
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 1,011 Posts
    Rep Power
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart_C View Post
    Cheers for the responses. I know its not the paring (transmit/receive) as I've tried swapping them round. And I'm using HP gbic's in HP kit. It's actual communication between the switches that's the issues.

    Having looked over the config the only option I have for the fibre on the HP switches is 1000Mb where as I know the Nortel switches only run at 100Mb so I'm leaning towards this suggestion. I wondered of there were any other ideas.
    I would try setting both switches to 100mb Full duplex and see if that makes a difference.

  9. #9


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    338
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    I would try setting both switches to 100mb Full duplex and see if that makes a difference.
    I don't think you can downgrade SFPs ? - as @DMcCoy said "1Gb SFPs run at 1Gb or nothing."

  10. #10

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,713
    Thank Post
    269
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 1,011 Posts
    Rep Power
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I don't think you can downgrade SFPs ? - as @DMcCoy said "1Gb SFPs run at 1Gb or nothing."
    Depends on what switches you have and also gbics there are multiple types which are compatible with the HP switches. The HP E2610's you can set the speed at which the GBIC's run (to 100mb if required) I think it might just be you can only set the duplex mode.

  11. #11
    DMcCoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Isle of Wight
    Posts
    3,386
    Thank Post
    10
    Thanked 483 Times in 423 Posts
    Rep Power
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Depends on what switches you have and also gbics there are multiple types which are compatible with the HP switches. The HP E2610's you can set the speed at which the GBIC's run (to 100mb if required) I think it might just be you can only set the duplex mode.
    You could replace it with a 100Mb gbic. If you check the spec sheets for 1Gb gbics you will notice the only standard they support is 1000M full duplex.

  12. #12

    synaesthesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    5,482
    Thank Post
    527
    Thanked 875 Times in 682 Posts
    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    There was a firmware that fixed this.
    Where would one get hold of that? 5406zl switch. Google-fu fails me.

  13. #13
    truebluesteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    280
    Thank Post
    29
    Thanked 34 Times in 29 Posts
    Rep Power
    19
    We've had issues before where some of our older Netgear switches won't auto negotiate with our Extreme core switch. The only option was to force the Netgear to connect at 1Gb

    I have also had the issue with some Gbics not working on our new Procurves

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 8th September 2008, 11:25 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29th August 2008, 03:29 PM
  3. Limited or no connectivity.
    By boomam in forum Windows
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 6th March 2008, 12:23 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 16th February 2008, 07:47 PM
  5. Terminal servers no connection
    By mudcow007 in forum Windows
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15th June 2007, 12:55 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •