+ Post New Thread
Wired Networks Thread, Learning Switching and VLANs in Technical; Hi all, I'm after a good resource to help me learn about Core switches, Edge Switches and the best way ...

Thank Post

Learning Switching and VLANs

Hi all,

I'm after a good resource to help me learn about Core switches, Edge Switches and the best way to set them up. Up until now I've only ever dealt with very basic networks in small primary schools but one of them has grown and ideally need a core switch in the server room, and then four edge switches properly setup with VLANs. They currently have a 10/100 unmanaged switch next to the servers which has four plain, old, unmanaged switches dotted about the school connected to it. The Internet comes in through one of these four outlying switches, and the Internet router is also the default gateway.

I'm not after anyone saying "I'd set it up like this that and the other" (although obviously any advice is greatfully recevied), I'm just after somewhere I can learn about these things so I can have a stab myself - and then probably come back on here and ask if x, y and z would work!

Thank you

Stuart

Thank Post
    Todd Lammle and Wendell Odom books are great. Jeremy Cioara from CBTNuggets also has some great resources and explains the material in ways that is typically very easy to understand. You're asking for a broad range of knowledge, in order to configure this stuff you really need a background in networking. CCNA study materials are probably your best bet, even if you don't use Cisco equipment.

One thing I noticed from your post is that you didn't mention the use of a firewall. That may be something you would want to include in your network upgrade if you don't have one already and this site has a direct link to the internet.
    Last edited by SuperfluousAdjective; 25th January 2013 at 02:10 PM.

3. Thanks to SuperfluousAdjective from:

Jawloms (25th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Their Internet is provided by the LA. When I say "Internet router" what I actually mean is a Cisco box hanging off the end of a link to County's network, and therefore behind their firewall too.

Thank Post
    The CCNA materials are a good foundation for all things networking regardless of being oriented around Cisco.

You can pick up a decent 3560 switch that will do vlans nicely for £100 off ebay and will be more than man enough to run your edge and core.

One thing you will need though is help of the LA in order to get their router to know about new VLANS , or you will need to do NAT between thier router and your own.

Rob

6. Thanks to twin--turbo from:

Jawloms (30th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Read this old post first - Setting up a VLAN

I would personally leave the NAT to county, get a L3 switch in place keep your existing IP Subnet as your main Data VLAN create all of the VLANs you need and route between the VLANs at the L3 switch

NAT behind NAT gets very messy and isnt for the feint hearted especially when you start working with H323 and Videoconferencing.

8. Thanks to m25man from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post

I would personally leave the NAT to county, get a L3 switch in place keep your existing IP Subnet as your main Data VLAN create all of the VLANs you need and route between the VLANs at the L3 switch

NAT behind NAT gets very messy and isnt for the feint hearted especially when you start working with H323 and Videoconferencing.
    So long as the LA is flexible like they all are ( ROFL ) and they will put in new router entries in to your other VLANS..

Rob

10. Thanks to twin--turbo from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    That's an amazing post! It seems so simple now!

Thank Post
    Your welcome.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread