+ Post New Thread
Wired Networks Thread, Router communication troubleshooting in Technical; Hi All & Happy New Year, Just a quick question about networking, hope I've put it in the correct place. ...

Thank Post

Router communication troubleshooting

Hi All & Happy New Year,
    Just a quick question about networking, hope I've put it in the correct place. We recently introduced a new additional fleet of devices which started using the next subnet of IP addresses (10.5.209.* , all existing kit operating with 10.5.208.* with a subnet mask of 255.255.254.0) now the new devices picking up the latter addresses can communicate with existing devices and the servers great - however they cannot get on the internet.

They cannot ping the router, I've tested by taking one of the existing devices and changing it to static IP settings to match the other network equipment and it can suddenly ping the router.

The router is 'managed' by the local authority and was configured by them, I've come to the conclusion they may have given the router a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 (it has an IP of 10.5.208.1) rendering it unable to communicate with the new devices on 10.5.209.*, I've submitted a help request off to them but from experience it takes weeks for action which isn't really an option. Just after some confirmation that there's nothing obvious (or not!) that I may have overlooked while I wait for them or before I push them/go higher up for help.

Many thanks in advance,

Thank Post
    Your router mask is your problem it will need to be changed if you want to do it this way.
    Is it a router or a switch?
    Your LEA will dictate as this may be part of a larger MPLS system.
    Another school may already be using your extended range and changing mask may not be an option, you should ask first.
    Last edited by m25man; 4th January 2013 at 01:20 PM.

Thank Post
    I think it's a router, although that's possibly only in mind as it looks similar to a residential/domestic router. It's a Cisco box, I will confirm when I'm next it.
    Thanks for your reply looks like I was on the right lines, I'll push for a response from the LEA!

Thanks,

Thank Post
    you could NAT yourself behind their router with your own router.

That's more or less what we did when we were on RBC. We wanted to be safe from the rest of the RBC and have our own network ranges.

Rob

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread