+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Wired Networks Thread, Network Speed Between Switches in Technical; Originally Posted by localzuk Oh, the extra switch would work out as another £12.5k. So, £20k - my GBICs bit ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Oh, the extra switch would work out as another £12.5k. So, £20k - my GBICs bit was indicative of the extra cost here.

As I said, its a great idea, but expensive to do.
    Your backbone switch was £12.5k?!

Remember that kit doesn't need to be even close to full spec - it is just a stop-gap while you wait for the next-day delivery of the replacement. The redundancy kit I have here is stuff which I've upgraded out, but hung on to - the switch and GBICs are from when I upgraded a building from 100Mb to 1Gb, the spare PCs are from the last batch which we were binning, same goes for the projector. They're not great, but they do the job.

I turn them on once a term to check they still work and to allow software updates to go on.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    Your backbone switch was £12.5k?!

Remember that kit doesn't need to be even close to full spec - it is just a stop-gap while you wait for the next-day delivery of the replacement. The redundancy kit I have here is stuff which I've upgraded out, but hung on to - the switch and GBICs are from when I upgraded a building from 100Mb to 1Gb, the spare PCs are from the last batch which we were binning, same goes for the projector. They're not great, but they do the job.

I turn them on once a term to check they still work and to allow software updates to go on.
    For the sheer volume of things we have plugged into it, yes. A core switch to cover all our edge switches would cost us that. We have 15 cabinets that would need connecting up around the site. 15 x 10GbE ports isn't cheap.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234