+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wired Networks Thread, PROCURVE VLAN SETUP - Cannot figure out how to get trunking to work correctly!! in Technical; vlan.jpg Can anyone please help. We have a test switch setup and we are trying to setup a very simple ...

Thank Post

PROCURVE VLAN SETUP - Cannot figure out how to get trunking to work correctly!!

vlan.jpg

Can anyone please help. We have a test switch setup and we are trying to setup a very simple VLAN using two HP 2650 switches.
    We have created a VLAN using just one port (port 1) on each of the switches. These VLANS called "CAMLAN" have a separate address range to the network (192.168.0.1 on switch 1 and 192.168.0.10 on switch 2)
    The rest of the ports are as normal part of the DEFAULT_VLAN (ip 10.50.4.20 on switch one and 10.50.4.30 on switch 2)

We want to connect the two switches together so that BOTH vlans use the same single port for traffic. So we setup port "48" on both ports as a "trunked port"
    We just cannot get the switches to connect and traffic travel between them, e.g from the network I cannot ping the student PC (ip 10.50.4.100) and from the "Camera PC" (ip 192.168.0.2) we cannot ping the IP camera (192.168.0.100)

Can anyone please suggest what we are doing wrong?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Trunk ports (ie. the Ports that link to another switch) have to be 'tagged' with VLAN(s) that you want to be allowed to go to those switches. If I'm understanding you correctly?

HTH

Pete

Thank Post
    Trunking in HP terminology refers to Link Aggregation.
    @FragglePete is correct that the ports you are using as uplinks need to be tagged with the vlans that you want to pass over these links (and be untagged for vlan 1).

Matt

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    I guess you have got IP routing on the switch (has this switch got Layer 3 capability for intervLan routing) or an external device routing between the 2 different vLANS. And also that you have the camera plugged into a port which is untagged for the CAMLAN vLAN. For devices on 2 different vLANS to comminicate some sort of routing needs to be done I'm sure.

As @FragglePete suggests you need also need to tag the uplink/downlink ports for the vLAN traffic. Which is probably why you cannot ping the Camera from the Camera PC.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Yup as stated above. In HP speak you need to Tag rather then trunk a port. I believe its the oppersite with other kit.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The gui is terrible. Use the console interface or remote over SSH. Also seem to remember I went through explaining ProCurve VLAN tagging in this guide about using VLANS on Linux.

HOWTO: Using 802.1Q VLANs directly with Linux
    Last edited by Geoff; 7th November 2012 at 05:07 PM.

7. Thanks to Geoff from:

burgemaster (7th November 2012)

Thank Post
    thanks for the replies.

I have been doing all the config from telnet. There is a whole section on "Trunking". Are you saying that I turn off the trunking on port 48 and just simply "Tag" port 48 on both switches? this is what we tried originally and it didnt work

We then followed some guides and they pointed us to the trunk settings in the config.

How do you "Tag a port to a each VLAN??" We only have ONE port in then camera VLAN so how do we tag port 48 (connects the 2 switches) into this VLAN ? if we add it into the vlan and tag it, it is then a 2nd port which is part of that VLAN and we then cant ALSO "tag" it in the default vlan? (as we need both VLANs traffic to go through this port 48)

We can only have one port used for the connection between switches as these are all fiber links.

Thanks again, confused. Maybe we need to completely erase the switches and start from scratch.
    Last edited by burgemaster; 7th November 2012 at 05:51 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    The gui is terrible. Use the console interface or remote over SSH. Also seem to remember I went through explaining ProCurve VLAN tagging in this guide about using VLANS on Linux.

HOWTO: Using 802.1Q VLANs directly with Linux
    Thanks Gueff will read this in the morning, i have had enough to today, i will be dreaming on VLANS and ports later!

Does it matter that we are using a straight network cable between switches and not a crossover cable or minig`s and fiber cable or something like that?
    Last edited by burgemaster; 7th November 2012 at 05:53 PM.

Thank Post
    If I'm understanding it right...

- port 48 needs to be tagged for any VLANs you want to pass traffic for i.e. CAMLAN (whatever number you've assigned to it)
    - port 1 needs to be set as untagged in the VLAN called CAMLAN (if your cameras don't have a VLAN tag defined in their settings)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    port 48 needs to be tagged for any VLANs you want to pass traffic
    Just realised that you can actually set that port 48 to "tagged" in both of the VLANs at the same time! Thanks, hopefully this will work in the morning!

Thank Post
    type show run and paste it up here removing and sensitive info

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    type show run and paste it up here removing and sensitive info
    I will do that first thing, I just tagged ports remotely and lost connection to both switches from home so will do it first thing.
    Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by burgemaster View Post
    I will do that first thing, I just tagged ports remotely and lost connection to both switches from home so will do it first thing.
    Thanks
    ah the amount of times i've done that!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,495 Times in 1,341 Posts
    Trunking on your HP switch is to allow you to create a trunk of 2 or more copper connections between a switch and allow them to function without causing a loop.

To allow the vlan traffic to pass over that trunk you would also need to tag the ports with the relevant vlans.

By creating a trunk on port 48 you aren't acheiving a gain, if you trunked ports 47 & 48 on both switches you could then connect 2 cables between the switches and if you then tagged those ports for your vlans that traffic would also pass.

Ben

Thank Post
    Also to add to the post above, if you trunk 47 and 48 together to get a 2Gb link you need to tag the VLANs after creating the trunk link. If you do it beforehand the creation of the trunk wipes out the VLAN tags.

Key points for HP ProCurve....

trunk = multiple ports aggregated together for more bandwidth
    tagged = multiple VLANs going over the same link (for switch to switch links etc). A port can be tagged in multiple VLANs
    untagged = the VLAN the port belongs to for endpoint devices (only one VLAN can be set as untagged on a port at any one time)

17. Thanks to gshaw from:

Netman (8th November 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast