+ Post New Thread
Wired Networks Thread, Netgear VLAN Routing in Technical; Hi All, I will be eternally grateful to anyone who can solve this little pickle for us... Untitled.jpg The above ...

Thank Post

Netgear VLAN Routing

Hi All,

I will be eternally grateful to anyone who can solve this little pickle for us...

Untitled.jpg

The above image is how our network is currently configured. A few months ago we ran out of IP addresses so the solution from our LA (Derbyshire) was to give us some more IPs, in a new range, separated into VLANs. So basically, we have our old range in VLAN1 (10.4.160) and our new range in VLAN2 (10.6.196).

Now, rather than configuring our existing switch with the new VLAN information we were provided with the HP switch (top in the diagram) pre-configured with all the necessary settings. You'll notice that the router also connects to this switch (in a VLAN of its own).

It was then my job to integrate it into our existing setup. So what I did was, tag the relevant ports onto VLAN2 (you can see that I put our servers onto 2 and left the rest of the network on 1). I then have a cable connecting the two switches together (tagged onto BOTH VLAN1 and 2). This works fine. Both VLANS can see each other. Both VLANS have internet access.

The problem is, I believe that the red cable (the one linking the two switches) is creating a bottleneck. Network traffic between the two VLANs seem is incredibly slow. And if we're absolutely honest, there is no real need for it OR the HP switch. However, if I disconnect the red cable, VLAN1 and VLAN2 can no longer see each other (or the internet of course).

What I would like to do is configure the Netgear switch so that VLAN1 and 2 can see each other without the need to go via the HP. We would also need to plug the router directly into the Netgear somehow to allow internet access.

Does anyone know what is required to make this possible? Is it VLAN routing I'm after? I'm quite happy creating the VLANs on the Netgear but allowing them to communicate with each other (and the router) seems to be a whole different story.

One thing I notice on the HP is that each VLAN port has an IP address assigned to it (and this becomes the default gateway for each client on the VLAN). I can't figure out how to do this on the Netgear - it is definitely a layer 3 switch.

Thanks
    Nick

Thank Post
    I'm guessing from the fact you mentioned the IP address on the new HP switch your netgear doesn't currently have it?

From my understanding (though little of it) you want InterVLAN routing.

You've created your vlans on your netgear switch (VLAN1/2).
    Have you enabled routing on the VLANs? (Thus giving them a set IP, such as what the HP has done).? As that virtual interface would then be the gateway and thus have it's own IP. (Again as the HP has you mention)
    (And routing on the main switch?)

Steve

Thank Post
    Thanks for the reply Steve.

No I haven't enabled routing for the VLANS on the Netgear. I understand that each VLAN needs a set IP and this becomes the default gateway for each VLAN.... but I just can't figure out how to on the Netgear. Have you had experience with Netgear switches before?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Here you go.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post
    Funnily enough, I had just found that exact guide on Google 10 minutes ago! Thanks m25man, you're right, this is exactly what I'm looking for.

I'll update the thread with my results.

Thank Post
    I take it you have access to the HP? if you intend to use this as a routing device you will need to configure the appropriate routes so your packets find their way back to your VLans.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread