+ Post New Thread
Wired Networks Thread, 4204Vl blocking all forms of remote management in Technical; Morning all, We have a year or so old 4204Vl with all modules filled, 96 gb ports and 4 gbic ...

Thank Post

4204Vl blocking all forms of remote management

Morning all,

We have a year or so old 4204Vl with all modules filled, 96 gb ports and 4 gbic in all across the 4 modules. Suddenly today it started partially blocking a fibre link to a remote switch, and then locked up, so I power cycled it, ie pulled the kettle lead out, left it a few seconds and reconnected it.

All seems fine network wise, everything works as it should that is connected through it, all trunks, LACP, LAG, fibre links work again.

BUT I have now lost all forms of remote management access, telnet, HTTP, SNMP etc.

Anyone have any idea on what this could be?

Its still pingable, and have checked the ARP tables on a spare linux server (plenty of pings first)to make sure something hasn't been introduced to the network on the management address, by DHCP or otherwise(MAC in ARP matches switch's MAC)

Thanks in advance

James

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    I had that with a 5406 after it tombstoned - turned out to be faulty flash on the management module.

Thank Post
    Was it an RMA job on the main unit then?

I have a call in with HP, so maybe they have seen this before and know what to do.

I'm just glad I still have switching, as I don't have a spare 96 port switch sitting on the shelf! My servers would still work, but the staff and students would be quite annoyed not to have desktop access!

Thanks

James

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    No - the 5406's management card is the same as a normal module - slide in and out although it needed to go off. They did replace the card and then put the old flash unit in it - that didnth fix so we had to replace the flash and restore the config back to it which luckily at the time we hadn't setup vlans.

Thank Post
    I forgot all about this thread, but thought I should post an update/solution.

It turns out some berk was setting up a snmp solution, and rather than adding the IP of the server handling it all to just the snmp name, he locked down the switch just to that IP. Server was a test one on DHCP so IP changed, you can guess the rest...

I'd rather not say who that complete fool was

Suffice to say, null modem cable connected on the off chance, and a bit of digging fixed it!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread