+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wired Networks Thread, Don't get into routing, they said.. It's rage-inducing, they said! in Technical; Originally Posted by british_government EDIT: and just looked at your vlans, VLAN1 should always be management vlan, so really you ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by british_government View Post
    EDIT: and just looked at your vlans, VLAN1 should always be management vlan, so really you should use another for all your machines, or possible a separate vlan for desktops, servers and wireless devices to isolate potential issues. I can put together an example if you want? Or I can butt out
    Why should VLAN 1 always be the management VLAN? I thought it was considered bad practice to have your management VLAN and your native VLAN on the same VLAN.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehmet View Post
    Why should VLAN 1 always be the management VLAN? I thought it was considered bad practice to have your management VLAN and your native VLAN on the same VLAN.
    The default management VLAN is VLAN1, and what you are taught when you take CCNA. VLAN1 should never be assigned as access to any port, and actual end user devices should be on a different VLAN. In reality your management VLAN can be anything, the standard is VLAN1, but as long as it is configured correctly and no ports are on the VLAN it doesn't matter but why re-invent the wheel?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by british_government View Post
    The default management VLAN is VLAN1, and what you are taught when you take CCNA. VLAN1 should never be assigned as access to any port, and actual end user devices should be on a different VLAN. In reality your management VLAN can be anything, the standard is VLAN1, but as long as it is configured correctly and no ports are on the VLAN it doesn't matter but why re-invent the wheel?
    As long as you remember to remove ports from VLAN 1, or shut them down; which many people don't seem to do.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehmet View Post
    As long as you remember to remove ports from VLAN 1, or shut them down; which many people don't seem to do.
    If you design for bad config you will get a bad config. When you setup your management VLAN and all your VLAN's you should make sure ports are disabled or on a correct VLAN. DHCP should not be running on that VLAN anyway so even if you leave a port open on your management VLAN and somebody connects they will get a 169 address and can do nothing without knowing details of your management scope.

Thank Post
    Well, I decided to take a step-up from this and after about a week or so of spending lots of time researching, doing things wrong and asking questions, I'd managed to 'build' a network with 3 different VLAN's, 3 different subnets, and inter-VLAN routing.. And it worked

Now whenever I try to make changes, Packet Tracer crashes if I save them ;_; So I haven't got working an internet link, or VOIP, which were the next things I wanted to do. D'oh!

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Sorry slightly off subject, where can I find a copy of Packet Tracer on Cisco's web site to download. Had a CCNA qualification a few years ago and had a copy of packet tracer somewhere .

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12