+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wired Networks Thread, adding hubs to managed switch issues in Technical; Wireshark will only pickup broadcast packets and unlearned destinations if the switch is unmanaged as there will be no way ...

Thank Post
    Wireshark will only pickup broadcast packets and unlearned destinations if the switch is unmanaged as there will be no way to turn on port mirroring.

Rob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    Wireshark will only pickup broadcast packets and unlearned destinations if the switch is unmanaged as there will be no way to turn on port mirroring.

Rob
    Yup that is no problem though. If you ARE recieving 'unlearned' destinations then that means that you are recieving a lot of spam OR that the MAC tables are full in the unmanaged switch

Thank Post
    Are the "links" forced to the correct speed/duplex settings. I had a big issue where our core and an edge switch we both flappign about autonegotiating.

Force the managed switch to 100 or 1000 full duplex rather than auto and see if that clears up some of the garbage.

Rob

Thank Post
    By the looks, the FS605 only has a 1024 Mac table, so given the client devices including printers ap's etc. And switchport MACS that may be learned also. Then yes the MAC table may well be getting full.

Rob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jjohnsoncantell View Post
    pfi school unfortunately so it costs a bomb
    isn't privatization supposed to introduce competition and in turn value. on sorry this pfi!

i totally understand where your coming from, I've had to really put my foot down over daisy chained switches. it really is hard work sometimes though,

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide54 View Post
    isn't privatization supposed to introduce competition and in turn value. on sorry this pfi!

i totally understand where your coming from, I've had to really put my foot down over daisy chained switches. it really is hard work sometimes though,
    HA.....

We had a full new install with cisco kit at our other site, twin 4507 cores and distribution and edge switches. It took 5 months to get the UN/PW out of the BIG installer. The day I got the details I swore so much the air turned blue. Our expensive network was using switches daisy chained 7 levels deep and with no redundancy. It took three months for them to agree that it was abysmal and come in and do it properly.

Rob

Thank Post
    ours isn't like that there is structured cabling to every room, and 2 cores and links to edge switches in cabinets which the structured cabling goes to, its just the always want machines where there is no points or 10 machines where there is only 1 point. we do all the IT ourselves, network kit I decided and installed, no installer or anything, but we have to get structured cabling installed by the PFI/FM people in the same we have to get them to supply desks, other wise they refuse to clean them, and everything costs 40x the normal price and takes 100x as long.

I can remember working in a normal company, where we had a budget, phoned a guy got a quote and sent him a PO. a week later we had data points installed. why does everything need to be so fricking uneccessarily difficult in education, it is not by accident

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12