+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wired Networks Thread, Network failure in Technical; Download Software - Cisco Systems Been able to get some IOS's for at least 2 years. Rob...

Thank Post
    Download Software - Cisco Systems

Been able to get some IOS's for at least 2 years.

Rob

2. Thanks to twin--turbo from:

SYNACK (19th September 2012)

Thank Post
    Router software is still restricted download though.

Rob

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,976 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Destinova View Post
    Incorrect. All Cisco Desktop Switching Business Unit switches (2K, 3K) come with IOS upgrades at no additional cost, for the lifetime of the product. This includes both fixed and stackable versions.
    I've *never* heard this. I have been told that you have to have a support contract to get the upgrades though, by many different sellers and users of Cisco gear over the last 15 years...

Thank Post
    A badly damaged cable can do some meaty damage, as can a damaged switch - do you have a big estate or can you quickly isolate a bad device/cable?

RE: Cisco upgrades: if you register the product online against your Cisco account, you should be eligible for upgrades? I know I was for ASA 5510s.

Best of luck.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I've *never* heard this. I have been told that you have to have a support contract to get the upgrades though, by many different sellers and users of Cisco gear over the last 15 years...
    No contract or product registration required for current generation 2K and 3K switches, just a valid CCO login. Check the data sheets, etc. for your particular model. As an example:

2960 and 2960-S Series

Q. Can I obtain a Cisco IOS Software updates for the Cisco Catalyst 2960 Series at no additional cost?
    A. Yes. Cisco offers ongoing Cisco IOS Software updates for certain fixed-configuration and stackable Cisco Catalyst switches at no additional cost. For the life of the product, updates within the Cisco IOS Software package purchased (LAN Lite and LAN Base) will be made available.
    Q. How do I get an update for the Cisco IOS Software for the Cisco Catalyst 2960 Series at no additional cost?
    A. Visit Cisco Systems, Inc, click "Downloads," and select "Switch Software." Downloading software requires a Cisco.com username and password. If you do not have a Cisco.com username, you can obtain one by clicking "Register" at the top of any page on Cisco.com.
    Edit: This was Cisco's response to HP's "lifetime warranty" on ProCurve switches. Limited Lifetime Warranty and free software. The LLW just means you have to be the original owner, and it doesn't cover the power supply past 5 years. Otherwise, they'll RMA/cross-ship a new unit *without* any support contract with 5 business day coverage.

It's certainly not the way a lot of people are used to Cisco software, but it's been around for a couple of years. I know I first heard of it at Cisco Live (US) in 2010.

Obviously this doesn't cover your Cat6K's or Nexus gear but access-layer hardware is covered.
    Last edited by Destinova; 21st September 2012 at 05:05 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12