+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Wired Networks Thread, New Core Switch Suggestions in Technical; The 3750's are also fantastic switches!!...
    Thank Post
    The 3750's are also fantastic switches!!

2. Thanks to cpjitservices from:

bossman (17th October 2012)

Thank Post
    So, you want to buy one(?) core switch. Looking at the HP 8200 series, it can be equipped with two fabric and management modules, is advertised with non stop switching as well. Also, if you want 10GB interfaces, take the V2 hardware and get the premium software.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by snoerre; 11th September 2012 at 01:47 PM.

bio
    Thank Post
    Cisco 4506E's over here. 2 x 10 GB link between them. VERY happy with them (running 6 months solid now. (before we had 3com 5500Gs).

bio..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I looked at this back around Easter, going from an aging 3COM 5500G with 3Coms everywhere else... had quotes on the Juniper kit (nice, but the SFP modules were prohibitively expensive, and would have meant a lot of cost rolling forward and replacing switches elsewhere), a HP 5406 (massively expensive in and of itself) and a pair of stacked HP A5800s. We went with the latter as the pricing was the cheapest, the performance was more than good enough, we could reuse 3COM SFPs, and we could stick fibre modules in the back which gave us 32 fibre ports over the two switches. This on a similar size network, 450 devices, 1200 users, the only thing we don't have is the VOIP.

We also rolled out some A5120s at the same time to select edge cabinets and they've been brilliant as well. We have redundant links back to the core from the new edge switches with gobs of bandwidth and we've been able to properly VLAN everything off. It's all worked a charm, and SwitchShop were superb.

PM me if you want to know more, anywho, but as much as everyone loves the HP ProCurve kit, you don't half pay the HP tax on it and the A series stuff has been flawless for me.

Thank Post
    Just for anyone who is interested i had a quote last week for a HP 5406zl with premium license, 1x 20port Gig-T PoE+ & 2SFP+, 1x 24port Gig-T PoE+ and 1x 1500w power supply for a little over 2600 (combined part number J9533A)

Which i think is a great price unless anyone can get it cheaper

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by apeman View Post
    Just for anyone who is interested i had a quote last week for a HP 5406zl with premium license, 1x 20port Gig-T PoE+ & 2SFP+, 1x 24port Gig-T PoE+ and 1x 1500w power supply for a little over 2600 (combined part number J9533A)

See what @Millgate can do

8. Thanks to glennda from:

Millgate (17th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apeman View Post

We just chucked one of those - 5412zl - in admittedly with more modules but for a lot more (stupid global ripoff merchants). Great switch though, epic fast with the ability to be configured to do whatever we need it to. Pulled a couple of Cisco 3750 units that were the previous core, also epic switches which acted as a fautless core for 8 years and are still decent spec even today.

We went modular for the reconfigurability and the 1TB backplain which makes even 20GB interlinks look miniscule. It also has dual PSUs and can easily run as a core and the access layer for our largest catchment area.

10. Thanks to SYNACK from:

bossman (17th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    An update - I went for the 5406zl, with premium licence, two power supplies, one 8 Port 10Gb module, one 24 port 1Gb SPF Module and one 24 port 1Gb-T Module. It's awesome!

Next up for the new job: virtualisation!

Thank Post
    Yes the 5412zl is normally a lot more

I hope people will post the prices they paid for the kit (if they can or want to) just so others on the forum can see what deals can be had

Thank Post
    Why do some schools have so much money??.. we have to make a hard decision over whether to get a fax machine that costs 89 or one that costs 169, purely for financial reasons!

I also can't see us being able to replace the 2810-24G switch we use at the core any time soon, unless we can justify another ebay purchase.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    @dgsmith:

We still running with Cisco 3550 12G as core and a combination of 3550 and 3650 48 port edge switches, been running these for 10 years now and I don't see our school being able to replace them yet, if we do it will be Juniper all round although I would still use Cisco again as they have been so solid.

Some schools do seem to find lots of money don't they or is it because they pay their teaching staff basic wages hehe!

Thank Post
    @dgsmith and @bossman:

I hear you. We have a bunch of small schools (40 to 800 students, 50-500 ports) and much of the kit discussed in this thread is well beyond our means.

We upgraded our network from a bunch of D-Link FastEthernet switches to D-Link GigE switches two years ago. Getting the money for that was a real challenge. The new switches were capable of link aggregation so we used it, thinking it would help avoid bottle-necks. This summer we had a summer student test the throughput and we realized the switches were topping out at 1.6Gbps per bonded link. Didn't matter if you had four ports in the bond, 1.6Gbps was what you got. Since almost all of our servers have 2 or 4 GigE ports, we've been shopping for GigE switches that can do VLANs, link aggregation (802.3ad), and not much else. Tested an HP V1910 last week (and had troubles with it). So now we're looking again but spending anywhere close to $3k on a switch is going to be a tough sell.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    what was wrong with the v1910? have you looked at a 2810 or 2910?

Thank Post
    We use D-Link in the core purely for financial reasons, and I do sometimes wonder how some schools can afford the expensive switches.

But if you try to understand school funding then it is odd in itself, money for some subjects is better then others, then you have the social deprivation funds to, and pupil premiums that some schools get while others don't. The staff costs can also be massively different, some schools have staff that have all been there 5+ years and are at the top of scales, others staff are newer and are nearer the bottom of scales.

All the above is before anyone even decides where the money the school does get should be spent! So I do get an idea of how budgets can vary massively, even within the same borough.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @dgsmith:

We still running with Cisco 3550 12G as core and a combination of 3550 and 3650 48 port edge switches, been running these for 10 years now and I don't see our school being able to replace them yet, if we do it will be Juniper all round although I would still use Cisco again as they have been so solid.

Some schools do seem to find lots of money don't they or is it because they pay their teaching staff basic wages hehe!
    It depends heavily on the school, the way it is structured and the type of funding it gets. I deal with several schools and the smallest has the best budget, you'd probably cry if you knew how much we spent on switching this year - hint it is in the 10s of Ks.

The bigger ones are structured and populated differently and have different goals so we have to scrimp a lot more. We did used to go D-Link but after the amount of trouble they caused we realised that cost wise it was not worth 'saving' the money on purchase if we needed to spend twice or more the saving on my time cleaning up after the bloody things. The downtime was also not cool.

Messing with the different networks at different levels you can definatly 'feel' the difference when imaging a machine or installing something. Schools with the tidy back end gear can sit there mashing the HD of a batch of machines full tach while still serving the rest of the school normally. Other places we do imaging in smaller batches or out of hours as the shear throughput bogs down the network noticeably. Everything still runs but you know something is up. Diagnostics are another big thing, schools with the shiny gear the answers are usually a telnet or console session away, quite a bit I can even remedy completely remotely resetting certain components or pointing out the exact point of failure. The others need that bit of extra presence and kicking to get the answers and fixes out.

Warranty is the other thing, the school with the big switches now has all their network gear under lifetime warranty. That means that other than upgrades in future the network is sorted. In the other places there is still a state of flux and fluid budgeting to stay ahead of the next great excrement storm.

There are merits to both ways but I have to say that I prefer overkill to under kill any day of the decade, let alone the week. In saying that the Cisco stuff is a perfect example of the overkill method, sure you can get away with a D-Link for the 9 months or so that it works reliably but a Cisco will happily work reliably for ten years and only cost about four times as much, cost benefit wise the Cisco/HP/Other Solid Vendor is a better choice if you can swing the budget to buy into the 'dream'. As I said in another thread, we just pulled an 8 year old Cisco core which still makes other schools jealous for its ability, we pulled it to go bigger not because anything was wrong with it.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 31st October 2012 at 11:51 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast