+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Wired Networks Thread, New Core Switch Suggestions in Technical; Excellent!...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Excellent!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    My recommendation for core switches are HP 5800-24G (JC100A). They replaced our 5500G's and 4800G's.
    We have 4 running. They each have 4x10GBE onboard and expansion chambers that take another 4x10GB modules each .
    They come as either copper or SFP - so we have 2x copper and 2x SFP switches, connected by redundant 20GBE links with a 20GBE link to the blade chassis.

Thank Post
    The OP failed to say what model the Netgear Stackables were, I would be interested to find out and how they are stacked.

We use HP and Netgear and if configured correctly the Netgears will do most of what the HP will for a lot less.

However you always get what you pay for in the switch game you have to put everything in the pot including licenses SFP's and warranties then do a cost per port to really appreciate what youre getting for your money.

Thank Post
    We too use a 5412zl. It seems HP have almost cornered this market!

Thank Post
    5406zl for us, lovely bit of kit

Thank Post
    I'm in a similar position to the OP. I've been wondering why the 5406 and 5412 switches are more popular than stacked switches? I'm thinking that a stacked core would give us better redundancy than a chassis. I'm a bit worried about having a single management module and chassis as a single point of failure. I hope I don't sound like i'm second guessing anyone else's choices, I'm just trying to figure out what's best for my school.

How do people find the 54xx series in terms of reliability?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,110 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ours have been solid. With redundant PSUs and any array of modules and connection types it seems a far better choice than having to buy another switch. However module prices with some people are just silly, it often works out cheaper in the long run to try and guesstimate what you'll need in the future and getting those modules as part of a chassis deal. If you don't use them you'll easily get the money back selling the modules on It's easy enough to swap out a failed switch in a stack but depending on what that switch is connecting to then it's still not much better than losing a chassis. HP are damn good with warranty stuff. DAMN good.

8. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

Chris_Cook (3rd September 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Cook View Post
    I'm in a similar position to the OP. I've been wondering why the 5406 and 5412 switches are more popular than stacked switches? I'm thinking that a stacked core would give us better redundancy than a chassis. I'm a bit worried about having a single management module and chassis as a single point of failure. I hope I don't sound like i'm second guessing anyone else's choices, I'm just trying to figure out what's best for my school.
    I went for a fixed port stack rather than modular. The cost worked out roughly the same and there is full redundancy in the stack (the A5800 SFP has redundant PSU anyway). My choice was really based on the fact that I believe there is more longevity in fixed port switches. For example our old E5500's (5 or 6yrs old) have now been spilt from their original stack configuration and are now being used as edge switches - they have 10GBE uplinks, so they are pretty good spec still. In 5 or 6 yrs time I'll be able to do the same with the A5800's. So it seems like a better plan (to me at least) to be able to re-use the old equipment. I would be hard pressed to find somewhere other than the core to reuse a chassis, but it may work for you.

10. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

Thank Post
    We run a x2 8212zl and a number of 5406/5412 all with premium licenses. multiple 10Gig links to the 5412's and 4x 1Gb links to the 5406's.

All have been solid as a rock and would happily buy this kit again.

Added bonus of this setup is that all modules are interchangeable across the 3 models of switch and all run the same firmware code

and for the people comparing this kit to netgear, all i have to say is warranty.
    Last edited by apeman; 3rd September 2012 at 10:42 PM.

Thank Post

Why not look at the 8212zl then?? this has redundant management modules and fabric modules. it will also carry on switching traffic while the fabric/management modules are failing over if primary one should fail.

13. Thanks to apeman from:

Chris_Cook (4th September 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts

My one had a faulty management module flash card - although I couldn't make any configuration changes the switch carried on switching/routing for all the vlans. I also had an SFP module fail which didn't crash the switch. Apart from the obvious of not switching to the areas connected to the module.

15. Thanks to glennda from:

Thank Post
    I only wish we could find the money to replace a 2810-24G that we're using as our core switch..

Isn't even capable of routing vlans =(

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apeman View Post
    Why not look at the 8212zl then?? this has redundant management modules and fabric modules. it will also carry on switching traffic while the fabric/management modules are failing over if primary one should fail.
    I've looked at it briefly, but by the time its kitted out with PSUs and switch modules, it seems like quite a large sum of money.

Thank Post
    If your on a tight budget check out the Junipers, they are reliable, robust, expandable and really built very well. We use the EX2200's here bearing in mind I come from a Nortel background the Junipers are very different. They are great to work with, either through CLI or Web Interface.

I'll attach screenshots of the web gui because i think it's fantastic.

juniper 1.jpgjuniper 2.jpg

I believe the Juniper EX2200's are fairly cheap - prices will have changed since we bought ours 8 months ago but still might be worth checking out, there is also some other people on here using Juniper.

Cheers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Juniper EX4500 or Cisco Catalyst 3750 both seem to be good core switches and they are stackable.
    Last edited by nicholab; 4th September 2012 at 10:21 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast