Policy Central 5.1
I have some XP workstations which are randomly locking up/freezing. I can't even get Task Manager open and I'm forced to power off the workstation. The latest security hotfixes for July are applied, but I also noticed Policy Central has been silently upgraded to 5.1. Has anyone else noticed this?
Windows 7 seems unaffected at the moment.
thanks for the early warning, I shall check the school laptops today and let you know
I've just ran the removal tool on two XP workstations and they've been OK for about 15 mins now. Before that they would totally freeze in less than 5 mins after logon.
Upgraded to 5.1 on friday. Having reports of hard lock ups / freezing and Internet Explorer crashes.
Event log has many entries with Policy Central files causing exceptions.
Disabled it on a couple of machines to see if that solves problem.
Spoke to Link2ICT and they haven't had any other reports yet.
(We used to have a similar problem many releases ago too)
Well it's been hours now and once I used the removal tool it cured it (on Windows XP). Not had any reports of lockups on Windows 7 as yet. I'll log a call with Link2ICT too as there's definitely a problem.
I've logged a call with Link2ICT so hopefully they'll put this deployment on hold. What OS are you running andy_b?
It definitely affects XP SP3, including all the latest patches. It was absolutely fine since PC 3.x and 4.x.
Forgot to say - they are Windows XP clients too.
How did you remove the client? I have tried to run the setup file as per the help file but is complains that there is already a Forensic Software Product installed and then quits.
At the moment I am just removing registry settings to disable it.
I've been forced to create a startup script and deploy the uninstall utility to XP workstations as follows:
This works successfully and stops the PCClient.exe process. It would have been nice to have some feedback from Link2ICT today (and hopefully they'll take my comments onboard). They're happy to deploy the update silently, but are far too slow in responding when problems occur. Without removing Policy Central 5.1 on XP, teachers cannot take the register, they can't use the whiteboard and they can't open or print documents. It locks up 5 mins after logon. It's really frustrating as this has happened in the past. Clearly no lessons have been learned :(
We are a Primary so Link2ICT host the software for us they updated the servers last week on tuesday and then deployed the updated client to our ICT Suite computers.
XP Pro SP3 - All updates installed via WSUS - As of yet no one has reported any problems.
We use the filtering part of policy cetral to a)stop the kids using youtube b)stop a generic account that Nursery / Reception children use being used to browse the web (i.e. it is in white-list mode).
The filtering part of policy central is broken our kids started using youtube and the restricted accounts now have full internet access. We were hoping that the upgrade to V5 would fix this but unfortunately the problem remains.
Are you 100% they're running PC 5.1? Not all XP machines I looked at had updated and there isn't a 5.1 MSI to deploy as yet.
Workstations running PC 4.x were fine, but I was forced to use the above script as eventually all will be updated to 5.1 and all hell would have broken loose! Not great when kids get to watch DVDs occasionally as it's their last week!
You don't have to let link2ict host it. I'm at a primary and I have it installed on my servers locally.
I can choose how and when it updates.
I've updated the server to 5.1 but only deployed it to a small number of clients for testing
David deployed it to our Suite Machines (30) last week and it had updated ok but as far as I know the class room ones are still using the older client. No one has said there is a problem (thats not to say there isn't). The only thing I noticed today was that they hadn't all shut down (a shut down script should shut them down at17:00). I did try one just after he upgraded them to see if it had fixed the filtering problem (it hadn't) but didn't experience any other problems.
Originally Posted by Michael
I will try testing one again tomorrow if I get time I'm snowed under atm squirrels eating fibre cables, EOY stuff, 2 faulty projectors, 30 refurbed PCs to install, new staff, etc etc etc...
Are you using the filtering part at all? If you are is it working? Just asking because if its working for you it could mean its a server side problem rather than a policy central bug.
Originally Posted by jamin100
Do you have to pay more to host it yourself; I thought there was a licence issue and you had to buy it unless link2ict were hosting it?
I have logged calls in the past re the server side being slow to access via the web interface but that is supposed to improve with the new version but I guess it would work better hosted locally.
Policy central was a real pain when we first started to use it but it had been working ok for quite some time then I noticed screen captures from youtube which the kids shouldnt be able to access at all... If we end up with ipads / android devices we might need some sort of local filtering anyway because we cant use policy central on them (although they are supposed to be working on a client for ipads) .
I think its more of a Forensic problem than a link2ict problem it seems to be when microsoft release updates that a spanner gets thrown into the works. V4 was already broken for us (the filtering) and pushing V5 to our suite was an attempt to fix it I think David was being cautious by only allocating it to our Suite rather than site wide. I did email him today because the webinterface became unresponsive I imagine that he is rather busy trying to get it sorted but in turn he is relying on Forensic to fix it.
Originally Posted by Michael