XP Clients unable to resolve DNS on Server 2008, but ok on Server 2003!
Need to pick your brains on this one as as I will be going bald tearing my hair out!!
Uptil today one site are unable to resolve DNS queries on the network. All our servers apart from one run 2008 Server Standard (Both DC's, File, Mail, BB Server) - the other being 2003 (Apps Server).
Now all other sites are fine and we run on Win XP SP3 and Win 7 across various sites.
The weird thing is that on the site I'm having problems at, I am able to ping to the server by it's DNS name, but if I want to browse to a hidden share by the DNS, it comes up with a username/password box and even though you type in the right one, it keeps asking for it.
I've tried the following: -
- restarted the machine a few times
- ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew, ipconfig /flushdns
- uninstalled the network card, and re-installed it
- even used static DNS pointing to the DC's (primary and secondary)
- restarted the servers and did ipconfig/flushdns on the servers
- take machine out domain and into workgroup, also applied NEWSid to the machine just in case faulty/corrupt files
- I can remote into the server via its DNS, but simply can't browse to hidden shares.
I've tried the above to no avail
Now that I've taken the machine out of the domain, it won't add it back it lol. Assuming it can't resolve the DNS for the domain??
Weird thing is that we have one 2003 server running our apps and I am able to ping this server by DNS, and I am able to browse the the hidden shares as well.
On this same site, there are two machines running on 7 and they are fine - no problems! Just the XP clients on this site.
I've contacted the other sites who also run Win XP and 7 and all them sites are ok. I would have thought the servers are fine from this and surely something with these particular clients on this site?
I'm beginning to tear my hair out on this. At the moment, I've mapped the users to the shares by it's IP so they can work, but anyone got any ideas on this one??
Any advice/help will be much appreciated!