WSUS selfupdate not running
Just a note about WSUS.
I had a WSUS 3 server, which I could run the mmc consol for, however it wouldn't run updates.
I checked common places.
This forum seems to have a lot of helpful WSUS info:
WSUS Support Forums
However the issue happened to be with IUSR (anon web access user)
My WSUS server used to a DC, when it was demoted it removed the IUSR from the local users group.
I put the IUSR_(insert your server name here) back in the local user group, and a restart of IIS and 'update services' and clients started reporting in.
Before that, if you browsed to the WSUS page with http://wsusserver/selfupdate/iuident.cab - you'd get access denied - even if it looked like you had all the perms set correctly in IIS for WSUS.
Hope that helps someone :tinfoil3:
Ah yes, there is a page that gave me a clue on Microsoft's site: