This was the solution that worked for me, although I did have to go into safe mode first.
I am SO hacked off right now! I have an NEC M450 here that will not update. It just sits there saying "downloading updates" but it doesn't. I have tried everything in my own medicine book that has worked before but all to no use.
The following (my own advice posted in a previous thread) is what I have tried:
I've had this issue for ages! Updates either do not download or install or the machine just hangs for hours. I've been on other threads within EduGeeks too, trawled the MS kb's and loads of other techie sites for hours looking for a solution and have never found a definite answer to it. However, the following methods have worked for me:
Assuming the PC you are working on is an existing school machine that you have just re-imaged and want to update before ghosting a new image back up - which is the situation I was in;
Download & install MS IE7 then reboot.
Rename the Download folder in C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download to download.old
1 - Uninstall Ranger
2 - Uninstall Sophos - Use the Sophos removal .bat tool from their tech guys
3 - Take machine out of domain
4 - Download & Install MS Installer 3.1
5 - Download & install MS Genuine Validation Tool
6 - Safe mode or normal Windows - didn't make a difference for me
7 - Execute the following from a Run command:
net stop wuauserv
net start wuauserv
Sometimes, just re-registering the msxml3.dll works.
Reboot the machine and try Microsoft Updates again or, try the Windows updates instead.
There is also a change settings option on the updates site that you can check to "use windows update only"
If the updates still fail:
1 - Download & install a newer NIC driver for your machine (this worked for me on a NEC VL350)
2 - Download & install just SP3 then re-visit the updates site
3 - Download & install the Sept 09 Malicious Software Removal Tool
Try visiting the updates site again.
On every machine I was working on, the following updates always failed:
Security Update XP SP3 KB952069/KB973540
Media Format Runtime KB968816
MS Office Genuine Notification KB949810
I had to either install these manually or remove them - the latter may be best for some!
For me, once I had done any of the above all other updates have installed normally. Things like Adobe Flash Player, XP Codecs, DivX, Java, Silverlight and Shockwave player have always installed normally too.
Sometimes, if MS Updates appear to have "hung" you may find cold booting the machine is the only answer and then you'll notice that the updates had actually downloaded and installed - very frustrating!
I'm just about ready to punch someone:mad:
FWIW I alway add *.microsoft.com to the trusted sites, this has proven to help stubborn machines to update.
I recall a few machines needing Java updates before they would update too, although this is a long time past.
I meant to add earlier that all other add-ons & plug-ins installed normally. Things like Java, Adobe Flash, Silverlight etc so I thought I'll just check that *.microsoft.com was in the trusted sites before stating it was and I got the following error message: "access to the requested feature is not available due to restrictions imposed by your administrator"!!!
I am logged in as admin on the local machine!
My forehead is very painful now after headbutting the TFT twice but I feel better within...:confused: